Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Never update Cash line items directly?

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby ThomasK » Fri May 06, 2016 7:15 am

Hi Mark,

I need to occasionally fix dividends as the automatic updates sometimes get the value wrong.

Just to be sure, I never should be meddling directly in the Cash account, yes?

Question 1: Said differently, am I right to say that the Cash account simply compiles the transactions from the investments themselves, thus to fix any pricing errors (ie in dividends retrieved) I should be only correcting inside of the investment transaction window, yes?

Question 2: I have edited a line item inside of Cash directly, and then did it in the investment data window itself, and I've seen then 2 entries in Cash, so I simply deleted the first...was that the right thing to do?

Question 3: If I understand the "File/File Operations/Re-Create Default Cash Transactions..." function, I could simply do that and fix any issues?

Thanks Mark,
Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Fri May 06, 2016 7:28 am

Hi Thomas,

1) I wouldn't say that you should never update cash items directly. It is normal to update certain cash items directly, like withdrawals, deposits, cash interest, etc. For cash transactions that were recorded automatically due to other transactions in the sub-portfolio, it is best to edit these at the source (the other investment that generated the automatic cash transaction). For example if you have a stock that pays a dividend you will also get a purchase of cash for the amount of the dividend. To change this dividend amount, edit the dividend transaction in the stock investment. That will update both the dividend transaction in the stock as well as the purchase in the cash investment.

2) Yes, this sounds correct. If you have a duplicate transaction, you can safely delete it. A useful report to run related to this is the "Investment Transaction" report, and turn on the "Filter..." "Only Show Portfolio External Contributions/Withdrawals". This will show you only transactions that do not have a matching transaction. For example, if you have a stock dividend, and the cash gets deposited, they are matching, so are not portfolio external, and won't be shown in this report. If you have a deposit or withdrawal of cash however, that would be shown. This can help find anything that isn't matching, so you can make sure all the appropriate transactions are recorded.

3) That can be used to fix any missing corresponding default cash account entries, but it won't be able to fix cash entries for things like deposits/withdrawals/interest for cash.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Fri May 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Great, thanks again Mark.

I appreciate the extra time you took to explain it nice and clearly...yes, I was a bit myopic in my statements.

p.s. I liked the youtube videos!
ThomasK

Return to Prices and Transactions