Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Reconciling with an OFX file converted from a CSV file

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby ThomasK » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:47 am

Hi Mark,

Background:
I'm aiming to eliminate human errors in reconciling share balances at the end of a period.
My financial institution -- TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse up here in Canada) -- does not download to QFX or OFX and I'm not interested in using Quicken. However, TD now allows me the ability to export transactions and holdings data to CSV! (Note: I of course "could" use this output to import transactions and be done with it, however I use another means to get the transactions into FM.)
I'm thinking about using a software converter to convert the CSV file to OFX...so instead of "Manually Reconciling" I would choose "Open Financial Exchange File" and use the newly created OFX file.

Question 1:
I can play with the headers, but, in theory, would this work?

Question 2:
Can I create 1 Big CSV file with all account holdings in one file and use the converted file then or does FM only reconcile 1 account at a time?

Thanks,
Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:57 am

Hi Thomas,

What formats does your broker offer for download? You can use CSV, but it is usually the most difficult, as it isn't as narrowly defined, like OFX/QFX/QIF. Any of those formats are usually easier.

Yes, you could in theory convert from a CSV to OFX file, and then use that OFX file. This isn't trivial though, and any converter would need to know the format of your CSV file.

The "Bulk Reconcile" feature allows you to reconcile multiple accounts at once, but this is only available in the Advisor version. If you're not using the Advisor version you can reconcile one account at a time.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks Mark.

TD (Waterhouse) Direct Investing does not download in Quicken...

The converter [https://www.propersoft.net/csv2ofx/] seems to offer the ability to match csv to ofx.

What exactly IS the header string that I would need to have in the final OFX?
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi Thomas,

You don't need to specify anything when importing an OFX file. The OFX format is fully specified, so all you need is a valid OFX file to import. This is different than CSV, which can have varying data, in any un-known order. When importing a CSV you have to specify a format string so Fund Manager knows how the CSV file is formatted, but this isn't necessary when importing an OFX file.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions