Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Transacrton Retrieve Error and Report

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby dbender54 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:31 pm

I've had this problem before, where, if I buy the same security on the same day in two different sub-portfolios, FM puts them both in the same portfolio when the transactions are retrieved and updates the reports. I managed to fix that (created a new investment in that sub-portfolio, deleted the one that appeared in the wrong sub-portfolio) , but the sub- portfolio's report total doesn't agree to the sum of the individual investments within it. I've verified that cash is in balance with the broker and reconciled the securities in the sub-portfolio report are the same - there are a few rounding or differences in mutual fund prices, but nothing substantial. In looking at the Portfolio editor for the sub-portfolio, without doing the same thing Adding up the individual values), I don't see anything obviously different, and the difference is ~$16k, so it's an item I should be able to see.
The sub-portfolio where the new investments were duplicated agrees to the broker both in cash and in the report.
Oddly, if I choose 'reconcile' , it shows that Fund Manager shows 0 shares for an investment (broker shows 25 shares), but on the FM sub-portfolio report, it shows the 25 shares and the appropriate value. This same type discrepancy also appears for another transaction that took place today (FM says it shows 0, but the FM sub-portfolio report shows the right number of shares and value, which is the same as the broker)
If I start the reconciliation for this sub-portfolio, FM shows a difference in cash between FM and the broker that doesn't appear in the sub-portfolio report total for the cash in this account (i.e. FM sub-portfolio cash = broker cash). If I look at the transactions in the cash account, I see the purchases (reduction in cash) for the two investments noted.

Where can I begin to identify the difference between the broker's detail and the sub-portfolio report?

Thanks for your help.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi dbender54,

I didn't follow all of that exactly, but one thing I'd check is to make sure you don't have more than one sub-portfolio with the same account number.

When reconciling by retrieving the statement from your broker the share balances are compared by matching the CUSIP. So, I would also suggest checking the investment properties, and make sure the CUSIPs are recorded correctly. If you're seeing something like

Code: Select all
Investment  FM  Statement
Inv1             0    25
Inv1            25    0

That implies a mismatch in the CUSIP. Recording the CUSIP correctly, will clean up both of those entries.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:26 pm

OK, thanks for that suggestion, but why would the sum of detail investment s of the report of the sub-portfolio not equal the total shown for that sub-portfolio? IE if there are 20 investments in the sub-portfolio that (manually adding them up) add to 636k, why would the report total shown for that portfolio show 16k more? I've compared the individual investments in this sub-portfolio ($ and shares) to the broker, and the cash balance shown in the FM report is the same as on the broker and aside from minor variances, there's nothing that doesn't appear in one that isn't in the other, but the totals don't tie. This only happened today when these transactions git muspisted between accounts.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi dbender54,

Try turning on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios", and see if that helps explain things.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:43 pm

That thought occurred to me, but I could not readily find that setting at the time.
dbender54

Postby dbender54 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:56 pm

Fairly involved reconciliation, but it appears there were some hidden transactions that caused the discrepancies. I exported the FM Investment report to Excel, compared investment by investment within the sub-portfolio between FM and the broker. Deleted all of the current day transactions, then retrieved them again.
The account now balances between FM and the broker.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:49 am

Hi dbender54,

Okay, glad you have it reconciled.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:43 pm

I purchased a stock in one sub-portfolio (which I've owned before, but sold in a prior year) and FM retrieved the new transaction, but now it does not appear in the Portfolio value report unless I turn on View-->Hidden Investments, which then allows the holding to appear, but also others that I no longer have (long list). I've tried re-creating the report(s), but as long as View-->Hidden Investments is unchecked, that investment does not appear. The cash balance in the account is correct, so I know FM correctly deducted it from the prior balance. And when I check View-->Hidden Investments, the investment appears in the Portfolio Editor, along with the other stocks I no longer own. I've checked Options-->Report Preferences but don't see anything there that would address this issue. The Properties of the sub-portfolio also doesn't appear to have an option to address this issue that I can find.

How do I fix this?

Thank you.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:33 am

Hi dbender54,

Turn off the hidden property for this investment. To do this, turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios" so you can see the investment in question. Right mouse click on it, and choose "Investment Properties...". On the "Other" tab turn off "Hidden". Click OK, and now you can turn back off "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios".

To understand/work with hidden investments you might like to watch this tutorial:

https://youtu.be/2bb7hSew_8g
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:03 pm

Thank you. That did of course solve the problem, but I want to understand the process. When an investment is sold in a sub-portfolio,assuming that I have either View-->Hidden Investments/Portfolios or File-->File Operations--> Hide Sold Investments turned on (meaning to hide them, but they are not closed), the most recent sale would then not appear in my portfolio (which is what I want), but that if I then repurchase the same stock in the same portfolio at a later date, I'll need to go thru the process you described (either specifying the date range or otherwise unhiding the ticker)? Since this would be a new transaction with a greater than zero share balance and a different transaction date, would it (should it) not still appear in my portfolio without taking these steps? This happens periodically, but not so often I remember what to do when it does. I'll make a note.

Thank you.
dbender54

Postby dbender54 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Re-reviewing the YouTube video, I I am comfortable with knowing how to manage these options and where to look if this takes place.

Video very helpful.

Thanks, Mark.
dbender54

Return to Prices and Transactions