Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Dividend not added to default cash account

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby sbfree » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi:
The dividend of CAT in the attachment was imported as a transaction from the broker but does not appear in the default cash account. No the cash account in FM is off by this amount. Do I need to wait longer for it to appear in the downloaded cash account or examine my settings?
thanks,
Scott
Attachments
CATdividend.JPG
CATdividend.JPG (68.18 KiB) Viewed 4046 times
sbfree

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi Scott,

If the dividend wasn't added to your cash account, check the properties of the sub-portfolio for this account, and make sure the "Default Cash Account" is assigned. It has to be assigned at the time the transaction is entered/imported/retrieved in order to create a default cash account entry. You can correct it by just recording the cash side of the transaction manually. Enter a buy of cash with the price at 1, and the number of shares equal to the value.

Also, it appears you may have a duplicate dividend there. You can get transactions from retrieving transactions from your broker, and also when using the "Yahoo (Historical)" quote server, and choosing the option to retrieve dividends. If you're retrieving transactions from the broker, you do not want to also retrieve dividends from Yahoo for that same account. Based on the memo difference, the dividend on 1/15/16 may be a duplicate, and from Yahoo. The others look to be from your broker.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:27 am

Hi:
Here's a newer example of a cash payment that doesn't seem handled properly. In 'Interest Received.jpg' the bond pays interest. A cash account had been assigned prior to this as shown in "Cash Account Assigned.JPG". Running the reconcile show that FM cash "Reconcile off.JPG" is off by this amount. I can't tell where FM has put the cash shown in 'Interest Received.jpg'.
Scott
Attachments
Reconcile off.JPG
Reconcile off.JPG (48.62 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
Cash Account Assigned.JPG
Cash Account Assigned.JPG (40.85 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
Interest Received.JPG
Interest Received.JPG (53.25 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
sbfree

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:09 am

Hi Scott,

Take a look at your cash account in the Data Register, and see if it is missing a corresponding buy for the interest paid by your bond. If so, just add the buy transaction into cash. It may be that the cash account was not assigned as the default cash account when the interest payment was recorded in Fund Manager. It has to be assigned at the time the transaction is retrieved/imported/entered in order for a default cash entry to be created. You can also convince yourself that it is working now by manually recording a new test interest transaction in the bond, and verifying the cash entry is created properly. Delete the test entry after you're done.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:49 am

This isn't resolved yet. I have not touched the setting for the default cash account since getting things set up. Entering dividends and interest manually will create a corresponding entry in the default cash account but this does not happen when they are imported from the broker using the 'retrieve transactions'. Where else can I check to try and debug this. I don't want to manually add entries to the cash account to keep things reconciled.
Scott
sbfree

Postby sbfree » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:10 am

Attached is another example. The Invesco entry from 3/4 was pulled from the 'retrieve transactions' and is not transferred to the cash account. There also appears an entry on 2/16 for what is probably the same dividend and this is recorded in the cash account. I'm not clear where the 2/16 entry came from. If I log on to the brokerage account from the web the 2/16 entry is not there, only the one from 3/4. Is FM pulling dividend information from somewhere other than the brokerage account?
scott
Attachments
CashAccount Invesco.JPG
CashAccount Invesco.JPG (61.81 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
Invesco.JPG
Invesco.JPG (46.55 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
sbfree

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:06 am

Hi Scott,

If cash entries are created when you manually record, but not when you retrieve, then check the option on the last page of the retrieve wizard. This is the "Preview Importing Transactions" page, and at the bottom there is an option "Automatically Record Corresponding Entries in Default Cash". Make sure this option is checked. It sounds like it is not checked now based on your description of this issue.

For the extra dividend transaction, that was retrieved from "Yahoo (Historical)". Note, when you retrieve historical prices from this server (and you're using Professional or Advisor), there is an option to retrieve dividends and splits. If you're already retrieving dividends for an account from your broker, then you would not want to also retrieve them from Yahoo. Just un-check that option when retrieving historical prices.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:09 am

Thank you. I'll found the "Automatically Record Corresponding Entries in Default Cash" checkbox and will work on fixing the Yahoo Historical entry.
scott
sbfree

Postby sbfree » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:18 am

I need some further guidance on finding where to un-check getting dividend information from the quote server. I had set it to use the Google Historical and changed to the Yahoo Historical but did not see the box to un-check to prevent dividends and splits from downloading in either one.
Scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:24 am

Hi Scott,

Are you using the Professional or Advisor version? If so, if you retrieve from "Yahoo (Historical)" you will see these options in the dialog that comes up asking you for a date range to retrieve. If you're using the Personal version, you won't see these options. Maybe you were trialing the Professional version when you retrieved those dividends before, and you have switched back to the Personal version, so you don't see those options now?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:33 am

Ok. I have the Professional version. I see where the settings are for Yahoo now. This is not an option with the Google Historical Quote server.
Thanks
sbfree

Postby ThomasK » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi Mark,

Am I correct in thinking that "Price Retrieve" does NOT get dividends automatically?
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:03 pm

Hi Thomas,

Dividends from a quote server are currently only available when retrieving prices using the "Yahoo (Historical)" quote server with the Professional or Advisor version. It is an option you'll see on the dialog that asks for the date range to retrieve.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions