Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Importing from Interactive Broker

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby phdaniel » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:31 am

Hello,

I am evaluating Fund Manager for my own use and I'm trying to import an account from an OFX file created by Interactive Broker. The file contains the first month worth of transactions in the IB account. My initial positions in that account where transferred from another account. When I import the file in FM, all those transfers are ignored and I don't get my initial positions, only a few buy/sell transactions that I made that month.

How do I get my initial positions from that file? I know they are in there as I checked and I was able to successfully import that file in Quicken.

Best,

Philippe
phdaniel

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:45 am

Hi Philippe,

Are the actual transfer transactions in there, or maybe Quicken recorded an adjustment for you to get your current balances correct? An OFX file can contain both transactions and positions. It may be that the transfer transactions aren't in there. You can open up the OFX file in a text editor, like Notepad and investigate if you'd like.

To import all the transactions in the file, make sure you are choosing "All Accounts" and "All Dates" in the import wizard, and that should pull in all transactions in the file.

When retrieving from a broker using the New Portfolio Wizard, Fund Manager is able to get all available transactions, and make an adjustment entry to get your current positions correct to what is reported by the broker. However, when importing from a file, this capability is not there. You can either import transactions or positions from an OFX file, but you can't import transactions and have FM make an adjustment entry. Since you have an OFX file, you might prefer to import positions from it, and that will get everything correct as of now. You won't have historical transactions though. You could manually add those, or import transactions as well, and then edit the buy transaction created during the position import to get your current balances correct again.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby phdaniel » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:20 am

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I checked the file. It does contain the xfer transactions, but does not specify the ticker or even the name of the investment! I now remember that with Quicken I used the Quicken transfer function to get the new IB account positions.

If I understand you well, to get both initial positions and historical transactions, I need to first import the positions followed by the transactions. I then delete the buy transactions that are redundant. Is that correct?

Best,

Philippe
phdaniel

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:25 am

Hi Philippe,

In the transaction section you won't typically see the symbol/name, but only the CUSIP. This is fine/normal. When you import transactions, you don't see these transfer transactions show up? If not, maybe you can email me this OFX file, and I can take a look here.

I was suggesting you could import positions (which will record a buy for each owned position), and then import transactions. You would edit the buy transaction for the positions to account for however many shares were imported as transactions, so you end up with the correct share balance. If we can solve the issue of why your transfer transactions aren't importing, you shouldn't need to do this, since it sounds like you have the full history available as transactions.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:05 am

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for sending the OFX file. The transfers are just showing up as "investment banking" transactions with a transaction value of $0. There are no shares transferred, so these aren't usable, and explains why you're not seeing any of the transfer transactions. I would suggest doing the position import. You could either then just start importing transactions from now forward, or import the handful of transactions in that file, and edit the position buy transactions to get your balances correct.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions