Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Partial transaction history and positions

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby ttomaich » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:48 am

Hi,
I am trying to set up my various retirement accounts in FM. I have a 401K with BofA/ML, but it doesn't allow automatic transaction retrieval like my Fidelity brokerage. That was very easy. Instead, I have tried to download the transaction history in QFX files. One problem is that the history only goes back three years, and does not pick up my actual holdings before those transactions. I am not sure how to upload the positions that would match the holdings at the beginning of this partial transaction history. Going forward, I'd like to just be able to download the latest transaction file and have it properly adjust the holdings in this account.

Is there a tutorial on how to do this? I wish I had the full transaction history, but it looks like this is just not available.

Thanks for your help.
Tim
ttomaich

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Tim,

You can import this 3 year transaction history, and then go make an adjustment entry for 3 years ago to get your current balances correct. If you really wanted to, you could record all the transactions manually before this 3 year ago time, or you can just record a single purchase to get the balance correct. For example, let's say you import these transactions, and you end up owning 500 shares of some investment, but you really currently own 700 shares. Just go record a buy of 200 shares 3 years ago. That will get your current balance correct. Going forward you will just import new transactions, and your balance will stay correct.

There isn't a tutorial that shows exactly this, but the "Getting Started" tutorials show how to manually record transactions and import historical transactions. See:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tutor.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions