Contact Us

Login Failed Error after Price Retrieve/History

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby ThomasK » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:38 am

FM LoginFail.jpg
Error after Price Retrieve
FM LoginFail.jpg (53.24 KiB) Viewed 2445 times

Hi Mark,

I'm getting this now, every time I do a Price Retrieve or Price History after upgrading to 2016 I get this at the end. I don't see where it's coming from.

See attached. Perhaps not the exact same error? The image attached is from Price Retrieve error.

Thanks,
Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:34 am

Hi Thomas,

Check your alert settings. That may be coming from an email alert, where you're sending through a Google email account? See "Options / Alerts... / Email: / Configure...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:42 am

Thanks Mark. You were right.

I'm going through smtp.gmail.com as sent directly to mail server.

It turns out that Google Gmail's new feature is to "block" sign-ins from devices/sources that don't have all the latest and greatest security features.

The solution for FM and gmail users is:
- Send directly to server: smtp.gmail.com
- email address and username must be complete and need the "@gmail.com"
- Port = 465 and SSL needs to be checked

THEN, you must go into "My Account" while logged into gmail account you want FM to send the emails to and under "Sign In & Security" (left margin) scroll all the way down and "turn on" for Less Secure Apps.

Tests fine!

Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:19 pm

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the documentation. Another tip is that if you have 2 step authentication turned on for your Google account you can create an application specific password for Fund Manager in Google.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Wayne McCracken 1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:52 am

I have a related concern.

When I initially set up an alert email notification, Google reported "Sign-in attempt was blocked" because it is coming from a non-Google "less secure app". They strongly suggest that I should get an app with stronger security.

I was able to bypass this so that it works by telling Google to accept logins from less secure apps but they strongly suggest that this was a bad idea because it decreases security.

So is this something that you are aware of and are intending to fix?
Wayne McCracken 1

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:41 am

Hi Wayne McCracken 1,

I'm familiar with this, and there is a better solution. You can obtain an app specific password instead of enabling "less secure apps". If you have 2 step verification on in your Google account, they have an option to request app specific passwords. See "Security / Signing into Google / App passwords". With this, you can create an app specific password for Fund Manager, and leave off the "less secure apps" option. Use this app specific password in Fund Manager under "Options / Alerts... / E-Mail / Configure...".

If you don't want to use 2 step verification with your Google account, you would have to enable using less secure apps.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions