Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Shorting

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby TheAlgorithm » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:11 pm

How do you track shorts?

The FAQ states that you simply record a sell transaction first. However, I right click on my sub portfolio and create a new investment and there is no option to choose buy or sell. So how do you do it? Would entering a negative share amount for the short work or will that create problems? And then would you just record a buy transaction to cover?

Thanks
TheAlgorithm

Postby Mark » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:57 am

Hi TheAlgorithm,

You can use the "New Investment" dialog to create the investment with 0 shares. Once you have the investment created, record a "Sell" transaction to open a short position. Yes, you would record a "Buy" transaction to cover the short position.

It sounds like you've already seen the FAQ, but for reference, the FAQ on handling shorts is here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq ... itions.php
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:38 am

Short Sale Gain Reporting.PNG
After relaunching FM the Short test investment data 'caught up' and reported the same End NAV as the Long test. However, as the current Short holding was a 50% mirror of the Long test it should really indicate negative dividends as owed and paid.
Short Sale Gain Reporting.PNG (14.2 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Hi Mark,

I reviewed the link in the previous post on how FM handles Short Selling. I see in the previous posts that indicate that if a position is held both Long and Short in the same account it reports as NA, however, if the Longs are in one account and the Shorts in another FM reports the capital gains and losses just fine.

Background:
Test Investment is IBM with a Long and a Short positions...each in a separate account. FYI I have a running test 'loss' in a previous long trade and a previous 'gain' in a short trade. Currently you'll see Shares Held as 100 long and -50 short.

Question 1:
I see the Gain-C (end) accurately reflecting a loss...I would love to see the Share P/L to reflect a loss...Mark, can you specify the equation I can use? Perhaps something with the IF() function, that is if a position has negative shares on the end date of the report?

Question 2:
With the Short position, there would have been $140 in dividends being "owed". How do you recommend we post that? I'm guessing just as a negative number! Yes?

Thanks,
Thomas

p.s. the following columns as shown are user-defined:
SHARE P/L = GainC_end/End_shares
BOOK PRICE = Avgpurchase_priceC_end

p.p.s FYI, I noticed it took a relaunch of FM to get the short EndNAV to report accurately...no idea why
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi Thomas,

1) Use something like: IF(End_shares < 0, -1*GainCs_end, GainCs_end)

2) Correct, it would be a negative value distribution.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:06 pm

Ah, simple!

I did the same for Gain-H /s (end), using the IF()
ThomasK

Postby ThomasK » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:56 am

Hi Mark,

I'm having an issue that between two similar reports, that "Subtotal By:" calculates the value differently for:

IF(End_shares < 0, -1*(End_NAV-OOPbasis_s_end), End_NAV-OOPbasis_s_end)

For report #1 I Subtotal By Asset Type and List By Investment...result = $9.77 /share
For report #2 I Subtotal By Symbol and List By None...result = $-13.84
For report #2 I Subtotal By Asset Type and List By Investment...result = $9.77 /share, same as #1

Why would #2 sorting resulting in (a) a different value and (b) a sign change? I checked that there is nothing hidden and the date range is the same BUT to let you know that I did create report #2 via the Memorize feature.

I've been staring at this for an hour...probably the nose on my face.

Almost there,
Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:25 am

Hi Thomas,

The sub-total line itself is different? If you're sub-totaling by different items, that sub-total will likely contain different investments. If you sub-total by symbol, only investments with that symbol will be included in that sub-total. If you sub-total by asset type, investments with that asset type will be included in that sub-total.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:01 pm

No, nothing different....1 investment, nothing hidden, all seemingly fine.

I have no clue as to the "why" either the different value or the different sign. I was hoping for an average price of the Symbol between accounts but I took the easy road and got rid of the column in favour of just seeing the overall gain in $$ for all accounts.

All good.
ThomasK

Return to Prices and Transactions