Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Yahoo update chg 2015-04-29 workaround for old FM versions

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby version7user » Fri May 01, 2015 2:33 pm

This is an informational post for other users of old, unsupported versions of FundManager.

On 2015-04-29,Yahoo made some change to the update server and FM responded quickly with a new price update module. For those of us happy with our old version of FM this doesn't help.

However it is currently possible to work around this relatively easily.

You can retrieve quotes from Yahoo as described at http://www.jarloo.com/yahoo_finance/.

For instance http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=YHOO&f=sohgl1v will retrieve a CSV file with the current days symbol, open, high, low, close, and volume for YHOO.

This can be imported to FM from File > Import > Prices > Generic (ctrl-E) using the input format SYMB,OO,HH,LL,NAV,VV and today's date.
version7user

Postby aldenxi » Sat May 02, 2015 10:09 am

I have been unable to update any stock data sourced from Yahoo for the past 3 days.
I am running 2014.13.5 with Quote Mod 473 & Transaction Mod 198.
Data sourced from Canada Stockwatch works fine.
The problem only appears on my XP machine, W7 work fine.
I realize that MS has discontinued support for XP, please don't tell me that Fund manager is doing the same.
aldenxi

Postby aviator » Sun May 03, 2015 4:42 am

Your quote and transaction modules appear to be outdated. I'm running the Professional version, and the latest quote module is 479; latest transaction retrieve module is 200. And the latest version is 2014.13.7.

To update your modules, click Help / Fund Manager on the Web / Check for Updates...
aviator

Postby aldenxi » Mon May 04, 2015 6:06 am

I tried that and get a WSAE: 12157 message frame as per attached.
Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg (55.32 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
aldenxi

Postby Mark » Mon May 04, 2015 8:18 am

Hi aldenxi,

That 12157 error message reason is:

"The application experienced an internal error loading the SSL libraries."

Do you have Internet Explorer installed and functioning on your PC? What version of Windows are you using? If you open up Internet Explorer, can you go to this URL:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/fmstat13x.html

okay?

As a workaround you can just go to our download page, and download the current 2014.13.7 version which comes bundled with the current quote module.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aldenxi » Tue May 05, 2015 2:08 pm

I'm running XP. I tried the URL you mention using IE but got:
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
What you can try:
It appears you are connected to the Internet, but you might want to try to reconnect to the Internet.
Retype the address. etc etc.

So I downloaded the current 2014.13.7 version and of course that solved the problem. Should have thought of that in the first place. Thanks Mark.
Regards, John A.
aldenxi

Postby twj332 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:47 pm

Hello I am running FM 2016.14.5.100

I hit the check for updates and get the WSAE: 12157 error
I have never had this happen before.
please advise
Thanks
Terry
twj332

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi Terry,

This error is reporting the SSL libraries used to connect could not be loaded for some reason. What happens if you open up Internet Explorer (it has to be IE, not another browser), and you try to connect to:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com

Is it able to connect okay?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby twj332 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:10 pm

No I could not load and I used IE
Msg says could not load web page.
then there is a diagnose problem button
This first time I experienced this, I just backed up data and copied via usb stick to laptop and do not get this msg on laptop - windows 7
My desktop has run FM from beginning without issue till today.
Desktop has XP sp3
Terry
twj332

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:47 pm

Hi Terry,

What version of IE are you running?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby twj332 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:20 pm

internet explorer 8
ver 8.0.6001.18702

I never use this browser very unsafe.
twj332

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:31 pm

Hi twj332,

Our website currently requires HTTPS in order to access it. When you do a "Check for Updates" it uses WININET, which is a component of IE in order to access our site and check for updates. Currently, our site isn't supporting the older protocol/cipher combination needed by IE8/XP. We will try to get this added back in. As time goes by older protocol/cipher suites are not being supported. To fix this problem immediately you would need to upgrade to a more recent/supported version of Windows.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby twj332 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi Mark,
Re: "Check for Updates" it uses WININET WSAE: 12157 error

My question is why would you be using WININET when there are alternatives?

WinInet is basically a control for http and ftp transfers, getting files and information on the internet. So I not sure I follow what you are saying except that the result is you are essentially forcing customers to have to upgrade the windows platform, when your software should be designed to run across plate forms.

I have a monster machine, running XP in stable environment where all other programs and sites requiring https are working just fine. They not asking me to change operating systems Mark.

Mark I find this frustrating.Maybe you should be advising us that FM has changed and may not perform as it did previously.?

Terry
twj332

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:01 pm

Hi Terry,

WININET is a component made available to Windows programs by Microsoft, through their API. It handles all the low level communication details, including the very complicated SSL. There are no easy to use alternatives when programming in the Windows API. Fund Manager has always used WININET. There have been no changes in the program. What has changed, is our website. We are working to get this corrected, so it can support IE8 and WinXP again. The error you're seeing is when Fund Manager is attempting to communicate with our website, and the website requires HTTPS, and isn't currently accepting connections on the older protocol/cipher suite supported by IE8 and XP. This isn't preventing any other use of the program. If you want to make sure you have the latest quote and transaction modules you can use a different web browser to download the whole program from our main download page, or download just these modules directly from here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/pro ... eng14x.dll
https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/pro ... anretr.dll

They need to replace the same named DLLs in your Fund Manager program folder.

We are trying to maintain support for Windows XP, but since there are no new updates to the components of the operating system from Microsoft, this support cannot last much longer.

Besides communicating with our website, WININET is used by the transaction retrieve module to make all the HTTPS requests from the brokerage OFX servers. These servers will likely gradually stop supporting older protocol/cipher suites.

If you'd like to see the details on this, check out:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze ... ftware.com

This site shows all the details of our website's SSL support. If you look in the "Handshake Simulation" section, you can see the 2 tests for XP are both failing. The IE8/XP one is what we hope to get supported.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby twj332 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:51 am

Hello Mark,

Thank You so much for a more fuller and complete explanation to this issue I am seeing with the FM site and my older version of windows. I must admit that most of my frustration comes from my ignorance. Thanks for the information.

Once i have downloaded the tranretr.dll and inteng14x.dll where would I put them? Never mind I not read your instructions properly Mark.

Also Mark I not understand " If you want to make sure you have the latest quote and transaction modules you can use a different web browser to download the whole program from our main download page, ..."
please explain or give me so guidance here, are you saying use different browser than my normal one (firefox) and what whole program are you referring too.

Thanks
twj332

Next

Return to Prices and Transactions