Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

An Easy Way to Enter TSP Transactions

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby B2B_Investing » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:37 am

Aloha,

I am looking to the group for assistance on this one. Has anyone found a relatively easy way to enter TSP transactions? There are a couple of hitches that make it more problematic than a traditional brokerage account:

1. Transactions (new or reallocations) are made across the entire pool of assets (i.e. by Fund). The TSP account I am working with includes a Traditional and a Roth 401(k). My preference is to keep these as separate pools within FM since they receive different tax treatment. However any transaction affects both pools equally. Put another way, I cannot make a transaction in just the Traditional 4o1(k) or just the Roth 401(k).

2. The interface does not allow transactions in the traditional sense, but rather, you can reallocate your assets across the funds at any time by whole percentage points. You cannot specify a dollar amount to transfer between Funds. There is not a clean way to download historic transactions as the CSVs are "Transaction Summaries" and only available for the last month.

I am looking for suggestions on how to:

1. Enter historic transactions (dating to 2004, not really interested in doing by hand, that is even if we have all of the paper statements)
2. On going transaction processing.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Jason

Fun Fact: TSP is managed by Blackrock
B2B_Investing

Postby Takecareman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:30 am

Fellow FM Users and Staff,

I looked at the following link for the daily and historical TSP price listing, but I can't figure out why FM doesn't recognize it when I try to import it as a CSV or TXT file.

The below link is in Excel (CSV) with three columns:
TSP Fictional Ticker Name, Date, Share Price

I've attached the excel version I downloaded as a CSV file type and another CSV version I tried to import with no success.

https://www.tsptalk.com/1212/shareprices.html

Thanks in advance,
Glenn

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!
Thanks in advance,

Takecareman

Go Navy! Beat Army!
Takecareman

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:48 pm

Hi Glenn,

I just downloaded the 2 CSV files from that link. The top "Daily" one was empty, but the historical one has a format like this:

TSPL40F,08/01/05,14.03
TSPL40F,08/02/05,14.11

So, you can import that using "File / Import / Prices / Generic..." and use these settings:

Specify Symbol: OFF
Specify Date: OFF
Format: SYMB,MM/DD/YY,NAV
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:46 am

I cannot recall how far back TSP now holds historic data, however, you can setup Thrift Savings Plan as a quote server to retrieve current and historic posts. I believe the change came with FM2016. While this does not solve the download transaction issue, unless you trade heavily, the transactions have proved the easier problem to solve than the prices. (at least to me)
B2B_Investing

Return to Prices and Transactions