Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Cannnot Retrieve Prices for S&P Sector Indexes

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Shmuel » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:26 am

Hi,
I searched Yahoo for their symbols for S&P Sector Indexes, but when I tried to retrieve historical prices for these (from Yahoo Historical) I got a pop-up message: Could not update any investments. I tried the same thing with Google Historical (using their symbols) and got the same results. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Shmuel
Shmuel

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:23 am

Hi Shmuel,

Can you give me an example ticker symbol you tried on each of Yahoo and Google? If you view these tickers with your web browser, can you see historical prices on their website?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Shmuel » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:36 am

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your quick response. For example, at google.com/finance, search SP500-25 for the S&P 500 Consumer Discretionary (Sector) index. Historical prices are here: http://www.google.com/finance/historica ... eKAwAOMrgE

At finance.yahoo.com the ticker symbol for this same index is ^SP500-25 and historical prices are at http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=^SP500-25+Historical+Prices

Best,
Shmuel
Shmuel

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:42 am

Hi Shmuel,

Thanks for the samples. On Yahoo they don't show historical prices for this symbol. It has a current price, but if you look using a web browser, they don't have any historical pricing.

On Google I do see they have historical pricing, and it isn't updating in FM. We will investigate this, and post back here what we figure out.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:23 am

Hi Shmuel,

It turns out these index symbols don't retrieve from the "Google (Historical)" server, but they will retrieve from the "Google (Historical Mutuals)" server. Please change to that for these indices, and let me know if you still have troubles retrieving.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Shmuel » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:16 am

It turns out these index symbols don't retrieve from the "Google (Historical)" server, but they will retrieve from the "Google (Historical Mutuals)" server. Please change to that for these indices, and let me know if you still have troubles retrieving.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for looking into this. I am using FM Personal v.10.9 and I don't see "Google (Historical Mutuals)" in my list of retrieval servers. Do I need to upgrade to the new version?

I can download the most recent close from Yahoo. I tested importing a text file of historical prices, which appears to work. This was somewhat cumbersome, but I would be willing to do it on a one-time basis. The problem is that if I ever miss a day of retrieving the prices, I'll have to import again. Does FM have functionality for scheduling automatic retrievals? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Shmuel
Shmuel

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:52 am

Hi Shmuel,

Yes, I would recommend upgrading. We only support price/transaction retrieve updates in the 2 latest major versions, which currently means the 12.x and 2014 versions. We aren't providing updates to the 10.x versions.

Yes, you can use command line arguments and Windows Task Scheduler to schedule an update. Alternatively, you can set FM to automatically retrieve every so many minutes while it is running.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Shmuel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:22 am

Hi Mark,
Thanks. I took your recommendation and upgraded to FM 2014, which indeed allowed me to download historical prices for the S&P 500 sector indexes, using "Google (Historical Mutuals)".

I'm having some other difficulty now, but I'll start a new thread if I'm not able to work it out.

Thanks again.
Shmuel
Shmuel

Postby Shmuel » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:30 am

Hi Mark,

Picking up on this thread. I am not able to retrieve historical prices for S&P Financials. I am using ticker symbol SP500-40 and downloading from Google (Historical Mutuals). Prices for all other S&P indexes (e.g. SP500-10, SP500-25, SP500-30, etc.) are working fine from that server. I have Fund Manager Personal Version 2018.15.1.100, Quote Module 527 and Transaction Module 231.

Thanks in advance.
Shmuel
Shmuel

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:55 am

Hi Shmuel,

I see the same problem with this symbol. Google does not return any data for historical prices for this particular symbol. I checked on Yahoo, and they also aren't returning historical data for this symbol. Hopefully it is a temporary problem, and their data feeds will be restored soon.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:15 am

Hi,

Otherwise you can use the WSJ quote server. The S&P Financials here: http://quotes.wsj.com/index/XX/NULL/GSPF
Djobydjoba

Return to Prices and Transactions