Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Missing Transactions

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby hray » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:59 am

I was away from the beginning of September until January and was unable to update my portfolios in FM, but I was able to download month end prices each month. In mid-January I updated all of the transactions in my portfolios (manually keying them in) in FM up to December 31 and reconciled them against my statements. When I went to do the same for February I found that all of the transactions that I entered were missing, but the prices that I downloaded were there.

Any ideas? Thanks.
hray

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:04 am

Hi hray,

I'm not sure... A few possibilities would be:

1) Maybe you're just not seeing them, but they are there? How are you verifying the transactions are not there? Use the "Data Register", and look under "Transactions (all)" or "Distributions (all)" data type.

2) Did you maybe somehow exit without saving? If you don't have "Options / Save Investments on Exit" turned on, and you've made some changes you will be prompted if you want to save when you exit, if you haven't already manually saved using "File / Save All Investments".

3) Are you opening up the same set of data files now, as you were updating previously?

If the transactions really aren't there, you might try making a backup of what you have now, and then restoring some automatic backup created by Fund Manager, and see if any of your backups contain your data. See "Options / General Preferences... / Data" for the location of your automatic backups.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hray » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:37 am

Mark wrote:1) Maybe you're just not seeing them, but they are there? How are you verifying the transactions are not there? Use the "Data Register", and look under "Transactions (all)" or "Distributions (all)" data type.

I am looking in the Data Register and the transactions are not there but the end of month prices are.

Mark wrote:2) Did you maybe somehow exit without saving? If you don't have "Options / Save Investments on Exit" turned on, and you've made some changes you will be prompted if you want to save when you exit, if you haven't already manually saved using "File / Save All Investments".

I have Save on Exit selected, but I don't have the "Save Investments Every..." set (I didn't know about that one!).

Mark wrote:3) Are you opening up the same set of data files now, as you were updating previously?

Yes, I searched the computer for any other like-named files to be sure, and the month end prices are in the files that I am accessing. I reconciled the Portfolio Value report against my statements for each month so I know that both the prices and the transactions were in the same files at that time.

Mark wrote:If the transactions really aren't there, you might try making a backup of what you have now, and then restoring some automatic backup created by Fund Manager, and see if any of your backups contain your data. See "Options / General Preferences... / Data" for the location of your automatic backups.

I tried restoring the one automatic backup that was dated after my entries were made and the transactions were not there. The only thing that I can figure is that I did all my work without exiting FM and then I had some system problem (I sometimes get the "blue screen of death" on this computer). If this happened, would all the entries be lost? Aren't they saved in some sort of file while working, even if they're not in the actual investment data files?

Thanks again.

Howard
hray

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:49 am

Hi Howard,

The only thing that I can figure is that I did all my work without exiting FM and then I had some system problem (I sometimes get the "blue screen of death" on this computer). If this happened, would all the entries be lost? Aren't they saved in some sort of file while working, even if they're not in the actual investment data files?

If this happened, yes, you would lose all your changes. As you make changes, the changes are stored in the computer's memory. Only when you save the investments are the changes written to disk. You can save manually with the "File / Save All Investments", or save on exit, or turn on that option to save every so many minutes. Any of these save changes to the investment files on disk.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hray » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks, I guess something like that must have happened. I guess I have my work cut out for me re-keying and reconciling again. Sure would be nice if the Canadian brokers would provide a transaction export facility.

Howard
hray

Return to Prices and Transactions