Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Downloads from Fundlibrary.com

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby colind » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:16 pm

Mark; Do you know if there is a special prefix or suffix needed at the fundlibrary.com to download prices. Eg: tdb627 won't work. I have emailed them but am sure it will be days before I get a reply.
colind

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:24 am

Hi colind,

You need to use what they call the "fund code" for the symbol. I just tested tdb627, and it retrieved properly. I used the current quote module, 427. Please check your investment properties under "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve" to make sure it is either set to your default quote server of FundLibrary, or specifically set to FundLibrary, and that it it set to "Retrieve Price". Verify retrieved pricing data by looking in the Data Register under the "Prices" data type. For more tips, see:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_ ... ailure.php
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby colind » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Got a bunch of them working last night at Fund Library by setting the server on each fund to fund Library right on the investment properties. I had the codes correct but was using the default server which was set to something else.
With all the funds that Fund Library doesn't list I am trying to retrieve from Stockhouse.ca which appears to have gone away. The only site I can find under that name is Stockhouse.com which has all the missing funds listed that are not on Fund Library. I think the retrieval engine may be set to stockhouse.ca which could be causing some issues. Can you determine if stockhouse.ca is still active or did they have a site change?
colind

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:24 am

Hi colind,

Thanks for pointing out the problem with Stockhouse. I see the same problem. It seems the old URL is re-directing to the new domain, but the new domain doesn't offer the same data as the old server. I've updated the online status to show it is not working, and removed it from our list of supported quote servers here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html

For the mutual funds you couldn't find on FundLibrary you might try Canada Stockwatch or Yahoo is also offering Canadian mutual fund quotes. To retrieve Canadian fund quotes from Yahoo you may need to use "Yahoo (Options)" instead of "Yahoo". For example, to retrieve "CI Harbour Growth & Income", use the symbol "F0CAN05LZ9.TO" with the server "Yahoo (Options)".

The difference between "Yahoo" and "Yahoo (Options)" is that Yahoo uses the data obtained from the link "Download Data", which downloads a .CSV file. If you look up a quote, most quotes have this link over on the right, under a section labelled "Toolbox". Unfortunately, for some quotes like options and apparently Canadian mutual funds this downloaded CSV file doesn't contain any data, just some "N/A" values. In this case you can use the "Yahoo (Options)" server which is slightly slower, but will retrieve the price from the provided HTML, instead of the downloaded CSV file. There are a couple downsides to using Yahoo (Options). One is that it is slower, as it can only do a single quote at a time. The other is that it updates for the default date, instead of a date provided by the server.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby colind » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Mark. No luck at any of the sites. Yahoo doesn't list them either. We have about six "F" series funds bought through Dominion Securities and they don't appear on many sites for quotes. I found them all on Morningstar.ca and have a mock portfolio set up so that I can login and get the daily prices but it forces me to enter the prices manually into Fund Manager. It's a bit of a pain that I am not sure I want to get into. I will make a decision over the next couple of weeks on whether I want to plug them in daily or not. Thanks for your efforts to get it fixed.
colind

Return to Prices and Transactions