Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Price Retrieve

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby cscaief » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:21 pm

I am a new user of FM and when I first downloaded the evaluation copy (about 3 weeks ago) I was able to retrieve both current and historical prices from the internet. I now have purchased FM and updated to the current version. I have imported and entered a lot of data including historical prices. Today I tried to retrieve both current and historical prices from the internet and I was unable to retrieve any. My investment symbols are correct and my internet settings are for Yahoo and Yahoo Historical (same as before). The sever status for these servers was reported as "working". What am I doing wrong?
cscaief

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi cscaief,

How are you determining that prices weren't updated? Did you receive some error message? What menu or toolbar button are you using to retrieve prices?

You might want to do a real simple test, and just right mouse click on some standard type investment that you own, and choose "Retrieve Selected Price". Do you get any error messages? If you look at the investment in the Data Register (Edit / All Data...) with the data type of "Prices" do you see the current price?

For some background, you may also find this FAQ helpful:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_ ... ailure.php
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby cscaief » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Mark,

I tried several different ways including right clicking on the investment and requesting a price update. I checked the prices in the data register and there is no update. I do get an error message as follows:

Comm disconnected

Request 0

Current none

Retrieve 0

Thanks,
Charlie
cscaief

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:59 am

Hi Charlie,

That looks like the status dialog, and not an error message. If you check the "Investment Properties..." of the investment you right mouse clicked on, what do you have for:

General / Symbol
Internet Retrieve / Retrieve Price
Internet Retrieve / Quote Server

Also, look under the top level "Options / Internet Settings..." and see what you have selected for your "Default Quote Server"?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby cscaief » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:25 am

Hi Mark,

The price retrieve box in the investment (DODFX) properties was not set. I checked it and set the servers to Yahoo and Yahoo Historical and was able to retrieve the price. I noticed that none of my investments have this box checked. I did look at the Options/Internet Settings from the tool bar yesterday to be sure the servers were set there. Why would this box not be set automatically in the investment properties? It apparently was set when I was using the evaluation version before I updated my software. Also can I avoid updating prices from closed investments by "unchecking" this box?

Thanks,
Charlie
cscaief

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:22 am

Hi Charlie,

The state of this "Retrieve Price" option for new investments is determined under "Options / Internet Settings... / New Investment Defaults...". By default, Cash type investments are set to not retrieve, but everything else should be set to retrieve. Maybe you created all your investments as Cash type, or maybe you changed the settings under this New Investment Defaults... window? Please check these settings, so you don't have to manually turn on this option for all future new investments.

Yes, you can un-check this "Retrieve Price" box for sold investments. You can also utilize "File / File Operations / Hide Sold Investments..." to do this automatically for you.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby cscaief » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks Mark. I remember that when I looked at this yesterday it was not set for new investments and I did check it and set the servers. The investments were created prior to this however. I do not know how it got "unchecked" but at least I now know what to do. Thanks so much for your help.

Charlie
cscaief

Return to Prices and Transactions