Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Fixing an Interpolated price post symbol change

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby BradN » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi Mark,

After importing transactions from TDAmeritrade, I can't seem to get a real price on WFM. It was imported as WFMI. I adjusted by splitting 1 for 1 and changing the symbol to WFM in investment properties, but I still get an interpolated price in my portfolio value report. Please let me know what you suggest I do.

Thanks in advance,

Brad
BradN

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi Brad,

What is the date of your Portfolio Value report? You can look in the Data Register (Edit / All Data...) and select "Prices" for the data type to see all your recorded prices for a given investment.

I just test retrieved WFM from Yahoo, and it updated properly for today's quote. If you are creating a Portfolio Value report for today, and you have a price recorded for today, it shouldn't be shown as being interpolated. If you're not able to get a price updated for today, please check the items listed under this FAQ:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_ ... ailure.php
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby BradN » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks, Mark...

I retrieved prices from Yahoo and the problem fixed itself.

I have the task of bringing the firm to GIPS compliance and was hoping you could suggest a strategy for me to follow...

I have been trying different methods of importing the transaction files from TD Ameritrade, creating a cash account as default and specifying the existing cash account as given by TD.

My main problem is while I can see the cash dividend paid under Data Type:Dividend in the register, they are being treated as contributions.

My nightmare would be to manually enter all these transactions.

Thanks for any guidance,
Brad
BradN

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:49 am

Hi Brad,

For a distribution, you should see the dividend in the paying stock/fund under "Distributions (all)" and then a buy of your default cash on the same date for the same amount. At the portfolio level, this will not show up as a contribution since there are matching transactions.

What type of TD Ameritrade file are you importing from? Did you try just using the New Portfolio Wizard and retrieving transactions and positions?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby BradN » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:41 am

Hi Mark,

I can't use the portfolio wizard since we don't have the access. I have been importing the TD transactions files.

I have walked thru the different variables regarding creating cash accts and auto recording while importing. Excuse my newbishness since I haven't found the combination that will result in matching transactions (at best I can see daily aggregate totals).

I do see the dividend distributions at the investment level and deleting one of these entries I can see the cash change, but when I run the performance report these dividends appear as contributions.

Is there a post you can point me towards dealing with similar problems for TD Ameritrade?

Much obliged and thx for your patience,

Brad
BradN

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi Brad,

A dividend shouldn't be showing up as a contribution in the Portfolio Performance report for the investment that paid the dividend, or at the portfolio level. If the money was deposited into a default cash account, it will show up as a contribution at the cash account level. The contributions/withdrawals reported are relative to each line in the report, so a dividend deposited into cash is a contribution into the cash investment, but not at the portfolio level. Is this maybe what is causing the confusion? For more, select "Help / Help on Report..." while viewing your Portfolio Performance report. You can read this, and also the "more info" link under the cash flow style header.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions