Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Fixing Bond Entry

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Ron Myers » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:22 am

When I first entered a Bond purchase, I did not enter the accured interest I paid.

I would like to correct that error, but do not seem to be able to do so. I change the investment to have "Bond Interest" and I set another option to "Commissions," but I do not see an accured interest field appear, when I go to edit the bond purchase entry.

Do I need to delete the transaction and start again? Will I then see the correct fields?
Ron Myers

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 am

Hi Ron Myers,

When editing an existing transaction you must edit the purchase and the paid interest separately. However, when recording a new transaction you can enter both the paid interest and share purchase at once.

Since you only need to record the paid interest, go into the Data Register, and under "Distributions (all)" for the data type, select "New...". Record a distributed distribution on the date of your purchase for a negative value. For example, if you paid $100 in accrued interest, set the value to -100, and the distribution type to "Interest", and leave the "Reinvested" box un-checked. The 2 date boxes would both be set to the date of your purchase.

Alternatively, you could delete the original purchase that you didn't enter the interest on, and re-enter it. To make sure you see the accrued interest option on your new transaction dialog, make sure under "Investment Properties... / Other" the transaction entry preference is set to "Commission Fees" and under "Investment Properties... / Income" it is set to "Bond Interest". These would be the default settings if you chose a "Bond" type investment when you created the investment, but you can double check they are set this way.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions