Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Etrade transaction retrieval

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Perry » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:03 pm

Transaction retrieval from Etrade (and therefore reconciliation also) have quit working. Some accounts work once and then no more until a long time has passed. Use to work flawlessly.
Perry

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:57 am

Hi Perry,

Nothing has changed in Fund Manager for Etrade, and it seems to still be working okay from here, at least up until the login point. There may have been some issue with Etrade's OFX server. Hopefully they have resolved it, or it resolves soon. If you still have issues please email us the raw transaction retrieve log file from (Help / Logs) right after retrieving a problematic account.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:08 pm

I had not updated anything since July 21 due to family reasons. Last week was the first time I tried to update transactions since then. Currently, the first time I try it seems that most (but not all) accounts will retrieve transactions but then none will work a second time. I get "Failed to retrieve portfolio". If I wait a day then I most seem to work the first time but not all.
The (raw) long seems to be blank. The raw file will not attach below (I assume it is because it is blank). Its file date updates each time but it remains to be blank.
Perry

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:52 pm

Hi Perry,

The log file is overwritten for each account, so if you have a problematic account, retrieve just this one account, and then look at or email us the log file.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:18 pm

When I right click on a single account and select retrieve transactions it worked the first time but then it gives the error message and the log file "transaction retrieve (raw)" is still blank.
Perry

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:46 pm

Hi Perry,

What does the error message say on the second failed attempt?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:49 pm

It just says "Failed to retrieve portfolio"
Perry

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:21 pm

Hi Perry,

I'm not sure. Please give me a call at 480-705-0129 and we can take a look at it together.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:25 pm

Mark,
I have multiple etrade accounts, one fidelity, and one TIAA account.
Etrade: When retrieving transactions: any etrade account will work the first time. If I switch to a different etrade account, the retrieve process fails. If I switch back, the account that did work also failes. If I never switch to begin with then the same account will work many times before failing, giving me the message “Failed to retrieve portfolio”. The “transaction retrieve RAW” file gets a new date stamp but is empty.
Fidelity: The fidelity account will retrieve the first time. On the second attempt I get the message “Error in Investment Statement Transaction Response”, “Invalid date range”, “Failed to retrieve portfolio”. The “transaction retrieve RAW” is not blank. I will upload it here.
However, if change the retrieve dates so that it covers two or more days, then the retrieve process works successfully.
The TIAA account appears to work with no issues.

The next day I’m back to where I can choose any etrade account I want and it will work the first time (and the above issues repeat).

I tried uninstalling fundmanager and reinstalled it but that did not change anything.
Thanks
Perry
Attachments
ofxretr.txt
(533 Bytes) Downloaded 106 times
Perry

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:56 am

Hi Perry,

Etrade: I'm not sure what is going on here. My understanding is this used to work fine, and the issue started fairly recently?

Fidelity: What date range are you requesting when you get the error about an invalid date range?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:00 am

Sorry for the late response (I've been dealing with personal issues over the past year that have put this on the back burner). Everything worked fine until (my best guess is late spring 2022). Personal issues caused me to not deal with it until fall of 2022. Please read the previous message.

To answer your question for the Fidelity issue: After retrieving transactions successfully, for the second attempt the date range is automatically set to the current date i.e. Jan. 3, 2022 to Jan 3, 2022. This is what causes this particular nuisance error (which never occurred in the past). When the dates are the same and I try t retrieve transactions, I get "Error in Investment Statement Transaction Response", then "Invalid Date Range", then "Failed to retrieve portfolio".
Again this is only a nuisance error as far as I'm concerned I just wonder why it never occurred prior to 2022.

With regard to my problem retrieving Etrade transactions, this is what I've done to date. I purchased a new laptop (in an attempt to rule out windows corruption issues) and installed Fund Manager on it. The results were no different. I then installed a trial version of a program called StockMarketEye. It seemed to have a similar issue, I was able to retrieve transactions once but not a second time. So I thought I was on to something. I called Etrade tech-support and told them this only to receive the standard response: "We do not support Fund Manager, the problem in not on our end."

I have two questions.
1) I assume I am not the only person using fund manager to access etrade. But I assume I am the only one with this problem. Is this correct? If so, this me think the problem is specific to my etrade account. (Etrade was not persuaded by this argument).
2) Etrade supposedly supports the Quicken. My thought is to purchase Quicken and see if I can duplicate the issue with Quicken however I believe Quicken is now a "cloud/browser" type program and I do not know if I could make valid conclusions from the results.

What are your thoughts?
If I cannot get this fixed I can never reconcile my accounts.
Thanks for any help.
Perry

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:59 pm

Hello Perry,

Yes, Fund Manager and Quicken both use the same "Open Financial Exchange" interface (OFX), so I would expect Quicken would have the same trouble if Fund Manager is not able to retrieve your account. It is possible that maybe ETrade isn't accepting connections from anyone but Quicken's servers, but I would think other people would have complained if this was the case. Is it still working intermittently with ETrade? When it fails, what does it show in the log file at "Help / Logs / Transaction Retrieve (Raw)..."?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:05 pm

Correct it still works at first but then fails. The log file is blank. I'm open to a zoom session or similar if your willing.
Perry

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:55 am

Hi Perry,

Sure, we can do a quick Zoom meeting. Please give me a call at 480-705-0129 when you have a few minutes.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:32 pm

Is this still an issue for you or did it resolve? I would be curious if you are using a VPN.

I have noticed that some financial websites will block VPN connections/servers at times which doesn't resolve until VPN service rotates you to a new IP address or a certain time elapses. Specifically Charles Schwab is finicky about this. I wonder if E Trade could be the same. This seems to introduce the "intermittent variable" into my troubleshooting at times.

Just a thought.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Return to Prices and Transactions