Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Confusion with prices after split

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby jcasey » Tue May 17, 2022 7:13 pm

One of my major bank stocks has split 2 for 1 and I have entered the split information in the Splits dialogue. Initially prices were adjusted accordingly and all looked well. However, when I have started adding post-split prices there seems to be confusion in the prices from the two months before the split. Prices in this period (Feb 22-to May 12) have been doubled (up the split date May 13) again as if there had been another split.

I tried deleting these prices and reentering them but when I enter an $80 post-split price it is recorded as $40. Part of the confusion may be that these prices were updated using the historical quote server.

What should I do to smooth out the price profile?
jcasey

Postby Mark » Wed May 18, 2022 10:00 am

Hi jcasey,

If you're manually entering a price, record the price as it was on that date. So, for example, if the price in February was $80, but in May there was a 2:1 split, record the February prices at $80, and the prices on/after the split date at the post split range (~$40).

One point of possible confusion is there is a "View / Split Adjusted" option. When this is off, all the prices will be displayed as they were on the date ($80 in Feb), but when it is on, all prices will be split adjusted, so will be displayed as $40 in Feb. If you edit any price, it will be shown in non-split adjusted terms (the actual price on that date).
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jcasey » Fri May 20, 2022 12:01 pm

Thanks again Mark. All is well.

John
jcasey

Return to Prices and Transactions