Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Share Class Change.

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby aviator » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi Mark,

In the near future several of my mutual funds will convert to their ETF equivalent. This will be a non-taxable event in that there will be no liquidation and re-purchase. Instead, only the share class will change.

What's the best way of handling within FM? My intent was to change only the symbol, CUSIP and description using the investment's properties. The history of the security will remain intact (consistent with my broker as cost basis remains the same) as will its data file. Is there anything I haven't considered, or is there a better way of doing this? Thanks in advance.
aviator

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:43 am

Hi aviator,

This is all correct. If you have multiple holdings of the same fund, you can do it in bulk in the Advisor version with "Edit / Symbol List...". This allows you to make edits on a security globally, instead of one investment at a time. The only other consideration is if you end up with a different number of shares in the ETF, you can use a split to adjust the share balance without affecting the history.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aviator » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:46 pm

Thank you and a big thank you for the tip of globally changing a security -- nearly all affected funds are held in multiple accounts. Making one change for each will be a big time saver.
aviator

Return to Prices and Transactions