Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Troubles with graph's percentages

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby Felice Vergona » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi,

I am having a difficult time figuring out what is wrong.

First off, I am unable to set any graph to the "Earliest Transaction to date" option. When I try, the graphs keep defaulting to "earliest price to date". This isn't my main problem since both dates are the same for all of my investments, and all of the other options work, except for the "TRN" option.

This next issue is something I can not figure out and concerns me...

The percentages on top of the graphs are not consistent.

If I set a graph to a certain date range, for instance, 1/1/2007-12/22/2009 (under the "custom" pre-defined ranges), Fundmanager calculates a percentage for gph (for example, for one investment I have, I get a gph of -3.04 for this time period. This seems correct. However, if I exit Fundmanager, then start up fundmanager, it will show this investment, with the same date range (1/1/2007-12/22/2009), but now the gph is listed as -37.46.

If I click on the above "adjust date range for gragh..." icon, the dialog box shows the correct date range (again, 1/1/2007-12/22/2009), and if I click on the "ok" button, the graph will refresh with the "correct" gph -3.04.

This is also happening with any range I use (2 weeks, 2 months, etc). I get a percentage, I close Fundmanager, open Fundmanager, and the percentage is now different. I "refresh" by selecting the pre-defining date range, which "fixes" the percentage.

Is there a setting which will automatically refresh the graph. From experiences I am sure it's something I am doing wrong, but I can't figure it out. It's a bit frustrating seeing some graphs with gph that I know are incorrect, and when I go to the "set date range" dialog and set the dates I want, then hit "ok" the percentage seem to then be corrected.

PS: I also click the "apply changes to all open investments" which doesn't seem to work.

Thanks in advance.
Felice Vergona

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:03 am

Hi Felice Vergona,

On the "TRN" option problem... Since your PRC and TRN date ranges are the same, Fund Manager is probably picking PRN instead of TRN, even though you chose TRN. This drop-down tries to determine which selection is correct, based on the current dates, and ignores what you actually selected. This could be improved, but should not be causing any of the other problems you've described.

For the incorrect yield problem, what version of Fund Manager are you using? See "Help / About...". Can you reproduce this problem in version 10.3, the latest version?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Felice Vergona » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:00 am

Hi Mark,

I am currently using version 10.3.

This second issue is happening consistently. If I am using, for example, the cost-price graph, and I set the date range using the drop-down menu (or the icon button for date range, etc), and, as an example, I set the graph for 1yr, fundmanager will calculate the 1yr and gph percent (21.89). At this point, all is ok. I then exit fundmanager with the option to save portfolio and investment on close.

Then when I restart Fundmanager, for the above example and investment, I get a 1yr and gph percentage of (-58.07), so I "refresh" the graph with either the drop-down or the icon button, then click "ok", and the graph now refreshes with graph the original 21.89 percentage for 1yr and gph.

Again, this happens with my other "investment" graphs. I don't have this problem when I am using the graph for the portfolio. Only with the individual investment graphs.

Hope this makes sense.

I don't remember seeing this in the past ever, and I have been using many versions of FM over the last many years.

Thanks.
Felice Vergona

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:15 am

Hi Felice Vergona,

Interesting, sounds like you've found a bug. I am not able to reproduce this problem here. You may have some specific combination of options that I'm not reproducing exactly. Would you be willing to send me your data for debug purposes? If so, please do a "File / Backup..." and email me the resulting *.FMB file. I'll send you an email now, so you can reply to that with the attachment if this is okay.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Felice Vergona » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:18 am

Hi Mark,

Ok, I will send now.

Thanks
Felice Vergona

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:32 am

Hi Felice Vergona,

Thank you. It was indeed a bug. This has been fixed for the 10.4 release. I'll e-mail you a pre-release of 10.4 with this bug fix.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Felice Vergona » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks, works perfectly. :D
Felice Vergona

Return to Graphs