Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Overlaying investment on portfolio

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby Robert A » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi Mark
I like to see how an individual investment compares to a portfolio. What I have noticed, however, is that doing so gives me a graph with weekends included. This shows as a plateau every sixth day and seventh day.

Is there a setting which will take weekends out, like on a normal stock graph?

Thanks
Robert
Robert A

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi Robert,

Sorry, not currently... Graphs always include weekends as plotted in Fund Manager, and there isn't an option to change this. It is something we are considering adding as an option in a future update. Thanks for the feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Robert A » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:17 pm

Mark - another question on this topic.

When I overlay a portfolio on an investment, shouldn't the line representing each on the left side of the graph start at 100 to equalize them? Using price plus distribution overlay, the portfolio starts at 100.39, and the individual investment starts anywhere from mid 90's to well over 100, making it difficult to compare the two.

TIA

Robert
Robert A

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi Robert,

The overlay graphs do start everything off at the same point, but they are inclusive of gains/losses on the beginning and ending graph dates.

BTW, version 10 has a new option to omit weekends from graphs.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Robert A » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:24 pm

I see. So the overlay starting point isn't the specified end of day price, it's actually showing the difference from the previous day.

I'm not sure what purpose that serves. I suggest making a change in the next revision so that the specified EOD price for each investment or portfolio = 100.
Robert A

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi Robert,

The idea is to be consistent with all the other graphs and reports, where they are inclusive of activity on the beginning/ending dates. I can understand it being confusing if you are expecting it to start at 100, but if they all start at 100 this isn't as consistent with the way other graphs/reports work, and a data point at 100 is taking up graph space without really providing any information.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs