Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Understanding %Gain

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby Chuckles » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:31 am

I am having trouble understanding % Gain-F and % Gain-I.

Scenario: I have a group of mutual funds that I wish to sort. I have the viewed range set to 3 months for all open funds and the vertical set to Automatic.

When I sort a graph by % Gain-F I can see that the investments fairly well line up from greatest gain to greatest loss. But the % Gain-I baffles me. Is there a simple way to remember what each of these are and how they work?

I also notice that, when sorted by % Gain-F, some of those investments don't order themselves by gain on the last day shown, but rather by some other point on the chart. Is there a way to sort by gain according to the ending date of the graph?

Thanks,

Chuck Carroll
Chuckles

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:37 am

Hi Chuck,

The %Gain-F is based on share price. The %Gain-I is based on your invested dollars. They can be different, depending on how you timed your investments. You can read the documentation on these here:

%Gain-F
%Gain-I

For sorting purposes the %Gains are calculated for each investment from each investment's starting to ending date range on the graph.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Chuckles » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Mark wrote:Hi Chuck,

The %Gain-F is based on share price. The %Gain-I is based on your invested dollars. They can be different, depending on how you timed your investments. You can read the documentation on these here:

%Gain-F
%Gain-I

For sorting purposes the %Gains are calculated for each investment from each investment's starting to ending date range on the graph.

So to make % Gain-I to work properly, I take it that a purchase date and amount are necessary.

Thank you for this information. It has helped a lot.

Chuck
Chuckles

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:33 am

Hi Chuck,

You are correct, if there are no transactions recorded for an investment the %Gain-I is "N/A". These will be sorted to one end of your investment stack.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs