Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Graphing against Barclays US Aggregate Bond Index?

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby jstolzen » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:11 pm

Hi, Mark.

Is there a way to create a sub-portfolio consisting of X% S&P500 (Yahoo ticker ^GSPC, I believe) and Y% Barclays US Aggregate Bond Index?

As far as I know, ^GSPC includes not only price appreciation, but also reinvested dividends.

I've looked high and low for a ticker symbol to use to represent Barclays US Aggregate Bond Index also with dividends re-invested, but have so far come up empty.

Any idea how to do this? I'd love to be able to graph my portfolio against a standard 40/60, 60/40, etc Asset Allocation.

Would also be interested in being able to split my stock portion out by US v. International - eg: compare to the MSCI EAFE index (also with reinvested dividends & cap gains) if that's possible.

Thx -

Jim
jstolzen

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:52 am

Hi Jim,

You can create a "Blended Investment" by combining multiple different investments in percentages that you specify. This feature is available in the Professional/Advisor versions. See "File / File Operations / Create Blended Investment...". This investment will automatically be updated as you update the underlying investments, and you can use it just like any other investment, so you could overlay it in your graphs.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jstolzen » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:09 am

Thanks for the reply..not sure I follow, though. There does not appear to be a Yahoo (or WSJ that I can find) ticker symbol for Barclays US Aggregate Bond Index. So, while I understand that I could create a blended investment and overlay it - what ticker symbol (or program feature) should I use to represent the Bond portion of the blended investment if I want to see the Index returns? I'm not trying to compare to a Bond fund like VBTLX but instead want to use the Barclays US Aggregate Bond Index, with dividends reinvested.

I'd use ^GSPC for the equity portion, which does indeed appear to include reinvested dividends..so, I'm looking for the same thing to use on the Bond side - index with dividends reinvested.

Thx..
jstolzen

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:19 am

Hi jstolzen,
Maybe you could use instead an ETF that replicates the Barclays US Aggregate Bond Div Reinvested?
Some seem available: https://etfdb.com/index/barclays-capita ... ond-index/

This is a way to do when quotes for the index are not available. For the resulting blended investment this should make no difference.
Djobydjoba

Postby jstolzen » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:01 pm

Thanks..I did think of that (using an ETF that tracks the index), but wasn't sure which one (if any) tracked 100% AND included re-invested dividends.

AGG, for instance, had a -0.46 delta from the index in 2012 and a -0.23 delta in 2016. The differences aren't "huge", but there's definitely a delta.

If I could find an ETF that tracks the index with dividends reinvested, that would indeed be a good solution..
jstolzen

Return to Graphs