Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Portfolio graphs - missing mouse reticle?

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby andy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:15 pm

Hi,

When I open the 'Portfolio Cost - Value', 'Portfolio Value' or 'Portfolio Gain' graphs for a portfolio containing only cash investment(s) the reticle/crosshair style mouse selection is disabled, so to read values off this graph the best I can do is eyeball it.

If I open the same graph types for a portfolio containing both cash and stock investments the reticle works as expected.

If I add both of these portfolios to another portfolio and open the graphs on the parent portfolio the reticle works fine as well.

Is there a way I can re-enable the mouse functionality for cash-only portfolios?

I'm using the professional version. Great application by the way, keep up the good work!
andy

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi Andy,

The mouse should work always, unless the min/max of the graph aren't being displayed. This happens when there is basically only 1 value being displayed, and nothing changes. It shouldn't be a function of cash or not, but the range of the graph being displayed.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby andy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:30 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for the quick reply - I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I tried pressing 'r' to reset the graph, and also setting the y scale to autoscale (which it normally does anyway).
I'm still not seeing any crosshairs or tooltips when I move the mouse over these graphs.

I'm using these portfolios to track bank accounts (recording transactions as buy/sell/Tx & interest as distributions) - these graph types do show +/- changes on the y-axis to both basis and value and not just a horizontal line, in case I've given that impression.
andy

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi andy,

Do you see more than 1 label on the left Y axis?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby andy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:22 pm

Yep. The count & scale changes depending on how many months back I view, suggesting autoscale is working.

Actually, this reminded me that I'd changed some of the settings for the display options, including the number of y axis labels, could this be something to do with it? https://imgur.com/a/UfLPfrX
andy

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi andy,

I'm not sure... If you look in the status bar, are the Y and X axis values updating as you move the mouse around? If you change the X axis to be a longer date range, does that change the results? If this doesn't help, can you try to assemble a simple portfolio to demonstrate this problem, that you could share with me? If so, use "File / Backup..." and then email me this file. I'll send you an email, so you can reply to that.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby andy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:56 pm

No, there's nothing appearing in the status bar for mouse coordinates.

I was able to reproduce it in a new portfolio & I've just seen your email, so that answers the other question I had ;) I'll send it to you now.
andy

Postby andy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:47 pm

In case anyone else runs into this issue, I found a workaround - disabling the 'hide cash type investments on investment based graphs' setting will reenable the crosshairs on cash-only portfolios.
andy

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:17 am

Hi andy,

Thanks for all the help. With your sample, we were able to reproduce this problem. It will be fixed in the next release. As you mentioned, the problem will occur in portfolio based graphs, with only cash type investments, and when the display option "hide cash type investments on investment based graphs" is enabled.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby andy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:27 pm

Great news! Glad to be of assistance. And thank you Mark for the unexpectedly fast responses over the holiday break!
andy

Return to Graphs