Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Phantom transaction

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby bobjar » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:58 pm

By typo or whatever I have an invisible transaction which displays on graph but which cannot be seen on "display all data".
The graph is for a bank account and is therefore quite simple. The total displays the correct figure after taking account of the phantom entry (a purchase)
I cannot delete this erroneous entry and after trying a number of solutions I am at a loss
Help please!

Bob
bobjar

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:36 am

Hi Bob,

You should be able to see all your transactions in the Data Register. Set the Data Type to "All Transactions", and you will see everything recorded in that investment. If you're having trouble finding it, please check how you're sorting the data in that dialog, as you can sort by any displayed column by clicking on the column header. Maybe your data is in a different order than you're expecting.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby bobjar » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:06 pm

Hi Mark

Tks for your prompt reply. I have already tried your suggestions without success, There is nothing in the data register for the "transaction" and the graph looks quite weird as there is no markers for the transaction -just a line.
I have tried altering the date order without success
I have used Fund Manager successfully for many years and this is the first time I have had an event like this. The entry is a real phantom but how to locate it is beyond me!

Regards

Bob
bobjar

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:41 am

Hi Bob,

Where are you seeing this transaction on a graph? Maybe you can either post some screenshots, or email them to us directly? If there is a transaction recorded, you can see it in the Data Register under the "All Transactions" data type. Also, double check you're looking at the same investment in the Data Register as you're graphing.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby bobjar » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:26 pm

Hi Mark

I will need to email the screen shots. What is the email address please?

Bob
bobjar

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:33 pm

Hi Bob,

I just sent you an email, which you can reply to...
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ZOO55 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:38 pm

Mark,

I am having a similar problem with "phantom" prices/transactions in a graph. My default cash account entries are all correct. However, when I graph, there are two gross anomalies:

First transaction: 3/20/20
various buys/sells: 3/20 - 3/24
-- Graph is accurate to this point.
Deposit $250,000 via "Purchase" directly in DCA: 3/24
*** Does not show on Graph
various buys/sells: 3/24 - 4/29
--Graph is accurate except for missing $250,000; balance apprx. $15,000
*** 4/29, DCA balance magically increases to $6.7 million!! Entries in data register that day are two manual entries for interest accrual and a dividend - all correctly entered for about $80 total.
*** 5/14, DCA balance magically self corrects and now shows missing $250k deposit. Entry that day was just a sale of an ETF security entered as a sale on the portfolio entry. Graph accurate for all transactions since.

This giant spike makes all other movements in the portfolio micro by comparison, so graphing useless. Please advise. As noted, all DCA entries are double-checked for accuracy.

Thanks.
ZOO55

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:53 pm

Hi ZOO55,

What is DCA? Is this the name of some investment? Or, maybe Default Cash Account?

What graph type are you referring to?

Investment balances should never be a mystery. The value is always the number of shares owned times the market price. So, if the value is wrong, check the shares and market prices, as one/both are wrong. The share balance on any date is simply the sum of all share transactions up through that date. The market price is recorded separately, and you can view/edit it in the Data Register under the data type of "Prices". Since you've said your transactions are all recorded correctly, it sounds like maybe you have an error in the pricing.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ZOO55 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:43 pm

Mark,

Thanks, but I don't understand your comment: " Since you've said your transactions are all recorded correctly, it sounds like maybe you have an error in the pricing." That is what I said - my data entries are correct but there IS an error in pricing THAT I DID NOT CREATE. So, the only other sources of this error must be either the program itself or prices retrieved. For cash, all prices are $1.00, so must be a program bug somewhere. Can you assist, please? I can send you screen shots if you wish. Thanks.
ZOO55

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:31 am

Hi ZOO55,

The program does not "create" prices on its own. Either they were retrieved, entered manually, or imported. Please answer these questions:

1) What graph type are you referring to?
2) Did you look at the "Prices" for your cash investment? Are they all 1.00? Make sure you are looking in the Data Register under the "Data Type" of "Prices".
3) Do you have the option turned OFF to retrieve prices for your cash investment? See "Properties... / Internet Retrieve / Retrieve Price".

Yes, if you think screen shots will help, please post some.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ZOO55 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:15 pm

1) What graph type are you referring to?

All graphs (value, gain) that include the Default Cash Account individually or as a component of the entire Master Portfolio have this bug.

2) Did you look at the "Prices" for your cash investment? Are they all 1.00? Make sure you are looking in the Data Register under the "Data Type" of "Prices".

Yes. All prices entered are correct in all registers. The Reports correctly show $1.00 price for all transactions and correct number of shares, but also the wildly incorrect portfolio values. However, I just today happened to check the Default Cash Account share price graph (before, I have checked only PORTFOLIO value and gain), and it has two giant anomalies: During the period we are discussing, shares price spikes to $30.00. And now, just today, it spiked to $38.140! Again, the registers all show correct entries on price ($1.00).

3) Do you have the option turned OFF to retrieve prices for your cash investment? See "Properties... / Internet Retrieve / Retrieve Price".

I had never checked this before, it was "Off". I turned it "On" and clicked "PRC" to retrieve prices just now, and then this crazy $38.140 price shows up.

I will upload three screenshots that will be self - explanatory. I hope all this helps. Thank you.
Attachments
Cash Account Transactions detail .JPG
Cash Account Transactions detail .JPG (255.37 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
Cash Account Share Value.JPG
Cash Account Share Value.JPG (123.48 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
Cash Account New Value After Update Jan 27.JPG
Cash Account New Value After Update Jan 27.JPG (142.05 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
ZOO55

Postby ZOO55 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:16 pm

Mark,

I specifically tagged the attachments to my last post NOT to be posted in line. But when the message posted, there WERE posted in line. Please fix this to take them offline immediately or delete.
ZOO55

Postby Djobydjoba » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:00 am

Hi,

You can delete yourself the attachements you've posted:
Click sur "Edit" button at the top of your post:
20210127-mer.08h53-02.png
20210127-mer.08h53-02.png (2.09 KiB) Viewed 5451 times

Then Click sur "Delete file" button(s), and click "Submit"
20210127-mer.08h54-01.png
20210127-mer.08h54-01.png (6.08 KiB) Viewed 5451 times

PS: "Place inline" means insert into the text. If not placed inline, the attachments will be displayed at the bottom of the post. So as soon as an attachement has been posted it will be visible, and have to be deleted if you don't want that.
Djobydjoba

Postby ZOO55 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:42 am

Dj, thank you for the explanation. I was just a bit surprised by the behavior, as I am not a frequent user of the forum. I will leave them there for now, as I think they will help Mark with the analysis.

Regards,

Z
ZOO55

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:30 am

Hi ZOO55,

It looks like the problem is #2. Your prices are not all $1. You showed the Data Register with the "Transactions". Yes, all your transactions are recorded at a transaction price of $1, but you need to look under the "Data Type" of "Prices". Market prices are separate from transaction prices. In the Data Register, look in the upper/right, and under the "Data Type" dropdown, select "Prices". Make sure all your closing prices for cash are set to $1.

Also, you do NOT want to retrieve prices for cash. The option to retrieve prices for your cash investment should be OFF.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Next

Return to Graphs