Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

bought sold bought again - gain/loss from beginning problem

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby Homer » Wed May 06, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi Mark,

I have some securities that I bought a long time ago and sold a few years back. Now I have purchased them again several years later. When I do a graph of Price + Distributions, it sets the cost basis all the way back to the first purchase. Even if I set the time frame to just include the recent purchase, it computes the gain/loss as though I never sold it. 'Doh!

It appears that I purchased the security at a 70% loss! How do I "reset the clock" to the most recent purchase? It does not seem to do it for every security.

Thank you for providing and supporting Fund Manager.

Wishing you good health and happiness,

Homer
Homer

Postby Mark » Thu May 07, 2020 8:28 am

Hi Homer,

The "Price + Dist." graph doesn't plot cost basis. Are you maybe looking at one of the cost based graph types? If so, you can control whether the "historical" or "current" cost is being displayed with "Graphs / Options / Historical Cost".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Homer » Thu May 07, 2020 6:16 pm

Marc,

it looks like this when I do Price + Distributions and similar for Cost - Price. It does the same with the historical cost switch on or off. Is this how it is supposed to work?
Please see attachment.

Thanks,

Homer
Attachments
NAT 2008 to 2020.PNG
Price + Distributions for same security 3 times between
NAT 2008 to 2020.PNG (50.76 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Homer

Postby Mark » Thu May 07, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi Homer,

In that graph you have 2 long time periods where you don't have any recorded pricing data. If you don't want to see that time period, just change the start date of the graph. See "View / Dates...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Homer » Fri May 08, 2020 10:24 am

Marc,

Thank you for both suggestions. I adjusted the time frame to view to start at the most recent acquisition. Then I went to the register, right clicked on the security, selected Retrieve Selected Historical Prices, selected the day before my new purchase to the current date. That supplied the new reference start date and corrected the gain % right Y axis. Now it is just perfect. :D

Thanks again.

Another continuing happy customer,

Homer
Homer

Return to Graphs