Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Trend Periods

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby 4MoreProfits » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 am

Mark,
I have been using the drop down on the tool bar to set my trend period. Is there any way to make my selection cover all my investments in either a portfolio or in my master portfolio (all investments). When I select TRN I get the result I want for the displayed investment but when I move to the next investment even if the button still says TRN I have to hit it again for it to recognize the period as TRN.

Thanks,
Jim
4MoreProfits

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:02 am

Hi Jim,

When you change investments being graphed, the dropdown should reflect the current date settings of the displayed investment. If it is showing TRN, that investment should be displayed for earliest transaction to date. If you're somehow not seeing this, please let me know if you can replicate this, and how you do so.

When you change the dates using the dropdown, you can either have it apply to only the topmost displayed investment, or all open investments. If you hold down Shift while making the choice, it applies to all open investments. It uses the "Use Same Dates" methodology, and not the "Recalculate Pre-Defined Range for Each Investment" method when holding down Shift. To use the other method, you have to use the "View / Dates..." dialog.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby 4MoreProfits » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:53 am

Mark,
I started by using the View|Dates|Earliest Transaction Dates, Apply to all open investments , Recalculate Pre-Defined Range for each investment. My hope was that all investments would then show the trend from the first transaction and give me the ROI yield for 3m, 6m, 1y,3y,5y,10y and the graph range. This did not seem to work the first time but since it has.

However back to this question. I selected view year to date applied to all investments.
Now if I go to the drop down and select Shift TRN (Did not know about the shift) I get what
I expected for the current investment. I page down to the next investment and get ... and have to select TRN again. So it does not appear that the Shift TRN applies to all open investments

If you have retrieved 30 weeks of historical data and you graph share price with MA overlay of 7 weeks and 29 weeks but your investment was purchased 4 weeks ago and you view from earliest transaction will the MA be fro the full 29 and 7 weeks or calculated from the date of purchase?

Finally is there a way to view a graph for investment value from the date of the first transaction with MA overlays. If you are looking at price with a MA overlay you have no idea how much the investment is worth at any given time without the number of share.

This all goes back to not being able to view my MA alerts on my graph like all of my other alerts. If that was possible then my cost|Value graph with alerts would do it all.

Sorry for rambling
Jim
4MoreProfits

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi Jim,

If you hold down Shift while making the choice, it applies to all open investments. It uses the "Use Same Dates" methodology, and not the "Recalculate Pre-Defined Range for Each Investment" method

This means that when you held down Shift and selected TRN all the investment graphs were set to the same date range, based on the initial purchase date of the investment being displayed at that time. You'd have to instead go to "View / Dates..." as you did initially, and use the "Recalculate Pre-Defined Range for Each Investment" method. Shift TRN will not be helpful to you here.

Sorry, there is not a graph type available currently that offers the investment value and MA overlays.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs