Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Moving Average overlays

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby 4MoreProfits » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:54 pm

Mark,
Is the moving average overlays computed from the investment data since "I bought the stock or is it the actual average for say the last 10 weeks.
4MoreProfits

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:04 pm

Hi 4MoreProfits,

The moving averages can be for any number of weeks you pick. See:

Graphs / Options / Moving Average Weeks...

They are calculated from the plotted date, back that many weeks. So, when plotting the 10 week moving average, the value plotted for today is the average over the prior 10 weeks.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby 4MoreProfits » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:24 am

Mark,
I understand that the plot is from X weeks back but my question is. Is it using my historical data or does it go out and gather the data. The reason I am asking this is I have a stock Called Naspers symbol NPSNY that I have had since 2016. When I look at a 7 week (50 DMA) and a 29 week (200 DMA) I get a value of 41.59 for 29 week and 44.33 for 7 week. I purchased some of this stock in my son's account in January and the 29 week is 44.25 and the 7 week is 44.33. I purchased some more of this stock yesterday in my grandson's account and the 29 week, 7 week and my cost are all 45. So for the 29 week overlay I have 3 values today of 41.59, 44.25 and 45 while the 7 week is 44.33, 44.33 and 45.

So it looks like It does not go out and get the historical data to calculate the moving average but uses the data in the file for it's calculations. Is this correct?"
4MoreProfits

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:48 am

Hi 4MoreProfits,

Yes, it uses the pricing data you have recorded in your investment to calculate the moving averages. You can see this data in the Data Register under the "Prices" data type. Prices are independent of your purchase transactions/prices. If you're missing some historical prices, you can retrieve historical prices for your investments.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby 4MoreProfits » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:05 am

The problem with pulling in the last 200 days of closes is if you purchased your stock even a day after the length of time you went back you will never get the performance data for the graph to register. I would be great to have a setting since first purchase that way you always had performance data and you could have true 29 week moving averages for newly purchased stocks.
4MoreProfits

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:23 am

Hi 4MoreProfits,

you will never get the performance data for the graph to register

Are you talking about the "GPH" yield term above the graphs? If you're plotting ROI yields, you would need to start the graph on/after your first transaction. You can choose to plot from the first transaction to date. Use the "TRN" choice from the graph toolbar, or under "View / Dates..." it is "Earliest transaction to date".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby 4MoreProfits » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:19 am

The earliest transaction to date solved my ROI question but if I select View/Dates/Earliest Transaction to date gives the result I wanted but when you select apply to all open investments it does not use the earliest transaction date for each investment but the dates from the investment you are working on.
Is there any way to have this applied to the earliest transaction of every investment without opening every investment and making the selection?

Would be nice to have a global setting. Also would be nice to have a template that can be applied to every new investment. It would have alerts, trend dates, and other parameters set every time
4MoreProfits

Postby 4MoreProfits » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:40 am

Mark,
As usual, I found out how to make the calculation each of the open investments so disregard my last post.
4MoreProfits

Return to Graphs