Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Cost-Value graphs periodically auto-scaling y-axis

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby Paul440 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi there,
I see similar questions in the forums around y-axis auto-scaling and have read that scale settings are part of the sub-portfolio settings. My case seems slightly different.

Occasionally (maybe once per month?) as I scroll through the cost-value for each investment in a portfolio, the y-axis scale has been auto-scaled.

I have tried various things to try and see if this is repeatable, but cannot work out a pattern to it. When it does happen its kind of annoying as I need to scroll through around 20 investments one by one and set the y-axis correctly again on about half of them.

I have 'save portfolio' on exit. I'm using 2016.14.15, but now I think about it, this has been going on for quite a while, I don't think the issue first started with this version.

I do have the portfolio and investment files shared through DropBox so I can open on my laptop and main computer. But I never use them at the same time (I realise this would cause conflicts), and Im sure ive seen the problem occur on the same computer between open and close of FM.

I'm happy to provide any info you need, screenshots, etc.

Thanks
Paul.
Paul440

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:11 am

Hi Paul,

So, you're setting the scale to something you prefer, like a fixed scale, and it is reverting to auto-scaling? One possibility is if you hit a keyboard shortcut (r, R, y, or Y) that can autoscale one or all your investments.

Also, if you make some of these changes to your scale, use "File / Save Portfolio" instead of relying on Save Portfolio on Exit. Also, make sure you don't close your graph window, as that will cause a loss of settings for scale. If you still see this problem, and you can provide some steps to reproduce it that would be most helpful. It can be difficult to track down problems that happen sporadically.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul440 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:12 pm

Thanks Mark,

Thanks for the list of possible causes. I don't think any of them relate exactly to my case.
My scenario is that seemingly randomly around 1/2 the investments (10 of 20) have their y-axis reset to some auto-scale, maybe around once per month..

I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can find repro steps for you.

Thanks,
Paul.
Paul440

Postby Paul440 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:04 pm

Hi Mark,

I've been monitoring this far more closely now and am certain the scale resets when I switch sub-portfolios from the Portfolio menu (or switch from sub to master).

No other info at this stage - just an FYI for you.

I also counted more closely how many investments in the Portfolio are affected when this happens and can confirm its actually all of them. (I previously said about 1/2).

So every investment in the sub portfolio gets its y-axis reset when I switch to master or another sub-portfolio. Not exactly every time, but quite often.

I'm a bit baffled others aren't having the same issue - I'm not aware of anything weird I'm doing and would guess that switching sub-portfolios isn't so odd.

Anyway, I'll report back if I can find another link/pattern for you.
Paul440

Postby Paul440 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi Mark,

I can now reproduce the problem. It seems to relate to closing the Cost-Value graph. Whenever I do this, then re-open the Investment Cost-Value graph, the scales are all reset for every investment. Happens every time and 100% reproducible.

Clicking Save Investment or Save Portfolio does not seem to help.

Any idea why this is happening??

Thanks
Paul.
Paul440

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi Paul,

When you close a graph window, all your settings set in that window are lost. They only remain as long as you leave that graph window open. When you open a new graph window, all the dates/scale settings revert to the defaults.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul440 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:03 pm

Thanks Mark,
OK, at least that explains it.

It seems a strange thing to do, if I ever accidentally close that Graph window its a lot of work to reset all investments back to their useful scales.

I guess you have your reasons for doing that, but at the same time you are clearly wiping out all the saved axis settings for (in my case) around 20 investments if the graph is ever closed. I can't think of a scenario where that is a helpful thing to do.

Curious that very few others have reported this as something painful.

Thanks
Paul.
Paul440

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:01 am

Hi Paul,

Sorry it doesn't work the way you are wanting. You can have multiple graph windows open. Each graph window has separate settings, so they are independent of each other. Once you close a particular graph window, those settings for that window are gone. New graph windows come up with defaults. Maybe there is some option you would find helpful in setting the scale the way you want?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul440 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:02 am

Thanks Mark,

Maybe I'm using the product in an odd way then. Let me cross check my usage with you to see if there is a better way.

(BTW - I've been using your product since 2002!)

OK, so to get an almost daily health check on my Portfolio I do the following:
1) I go to Portfolio Cost-Value graph to see overall change.
2) I then switch to Investment Cost-Value graph and cycle through each investment quickly (around 20 o f them).

95% of my usage of FM is in these two graphs (+ obviously internet price retrieve).

So I actually use the one graph window "Investment Cost-Value" to quickly show me 20 investments, one at a time. I find that a really useful way to visualise trends, profitability, current gains, etc.

On that one window/graph I can set each y-axis individually for the 20 investments and FM remembers them all which is great.... until I close that one window.

Is there a better way to do this? I kind of assumed most people used FM this way, but I'm guessing they don't or heaps of people would be complaining about the loss of y-axis settings.

Thanks
Paul.
Paul440

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:27 am

Hi Paul,

Don't want to interfere in your conversation with Mark, but I just wonder why you want to set each y-axis individually for each investment? The autoscaling behavior doesn't suit you?
Djobydjoba

Postby Paul440 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:38 am

Feel free to jump in :)

The auto-scale is a nightmare in most situations for me.

E.g. if I have an investment that is new with a few days of prices, where say I purchased $6000, it will auto scale between say (min) $5850 and (max) $6010 (ie, the smallest range it sees). If you plot this it looks bizarre like a massive zig zag of wild fluctuations.

But if you scale it from (min) $0 - (max) $6500 then you see the cost-value has slightly wobbled around a bit, but nothing much (maybe <1%).

On that basis, most of my re-scaling that I have to do involves setting the minimum to $0.
Paul440

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi Paul440,

You could just not close the graph window. Is there some reason you are closing it? You probably know this, but you can just change the graph type for that existing window as you want to look at the different graph types. You don't need to close the window to switch graph types. Or, if you want to see them at the same time, you can have 2 graph windows open.

If you want to force $0 to be within the auto-scale you could add a fake alert. Set the alert to go off when going below $0. Make sure you have "Options / Markers / Alerts" turned on, and this will force the auto-scale to include the alert marker at $0 for your investment based graphs.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs