Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

LINE GRAPH / BAR GRAPH suggestions

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby El Gordo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:22 pm

Mark,

I think it would be very informative to be able to produce several unique and customizable graphs in addition to those FM has in stock now.

I'll begin with my first thought. A line graph depicting the performance of a single, individual fund over time. The options of the different lines presented on the graph being a maximum of nine different fund tracking qualities represented by TEN unique colors depending upon the background color of the graph, i.e. white would not be an option if you select white as the background. You would select the background color first, then the remaining color choices for the lines would be revealed.

Optional color schemes would be:

BLACK
BROWN
RED
ORANGE
YELLOW
GREEN
BLUE
VIOLET
GRAY
WHITE

You could assign a single tracking characteristic for up to nine funds total with each fund displayed in a different color. Or you could assign up to nine specific tracking characteristics to a single fund with each characteristic displayed in a different color.

The individual funds you pick could be any combination of funds that are contained in the account being surveyed as well as one market index to compare them to (if and when the applicable tracking characteristic applies to the index).

The performance tracking characteristics utilized could be selected directly from the existing list contained in the custom reports options menu. Whichever items in those preexisting lists are applicable to graphing. Select the characteristic you wish to view and select the color scheme you wish to apply to that characteristic.

For example, let's compare multiple performance tracking characteristics of a single fund. We could choose to graph the following:

1] TOTAL ACCOUNT VALUE
2] OOP CONTRIBUTIONS
3] REINVESTMENTS (LT/ST DIV)
4] DISTRIBUTIONS
5] WITHDRAWALS / REDEMPTIONS
6] COMMISSION FEES
7] SHARE VALUE
8] GAIN
9] NUMBER OF SHARES OWNED

Next, let us consider comparing multiple funds. We could select nine different funds or eight funds and one market index or several funds and several market indices (not sure why one would want to to that, but let it be an option). Here you would only be able to select one performance tracking parameter since each color must represent the specific fund, not the parameter. If you select an index in this comparison group, only certain parameters would apply. You could generate a message "INDEX NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS COMPARISON".

You could also do something similar with BAR GRAPHS, for parameters which do not apply to a time-line graph representation. With the bar graphs you could compare multiple performance tracking parameters between multiple funds, but just not over a time weighted scale. These results would merely be totals for the individual funds. You would be looking for different data factors other than performance over time.

I think that these options would be phenomenal if you can ever possibly find time to incorporate them. I would seriously enjoy them! These suggestions go along with my post from August regarding being able to retrieve and graph the different regions or countries of the world where your funds are invested.

These are just thoughts for you to ponder.

Thank you for reading my comments and suggestions.

El Gordo
El Gordo

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:21 am

Hi El Gordo,

Thanks for the ideas/feedback, and taking the time to share them. I understand what you're asking for.

You probably already know this, but you can do a subset of what you're asking for, in that you can overlay multiple investments on the same graph with the "Investment Overlay" graph types. Select all the investments you want to overlay with "Graph / Options / Overlaid Investments...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby El Gordo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Mark,

Many thanks to you for considering this notion and replying. I have not experimented too much with the investment OVERLAY graphs yet. I was confused when I initially began this reply as I had previously experimented with the STACKED value graphs and I thought that was what you were referring to. I will investigate the OVERLAY graphs with more devotion now.

I have experimented with the stacked value graphs. Unfortunately, I have so many investments in my accounts that it makes the graph rather "noisy" and difficult to interpret. Also, I have not realized how to manipulate the data to present the parameters I want to see. My STACKED graphs end up looking like the Rainbow Mountains of China or Painted Mountains of China. It's stunningly beautiful and awesome, but also baffling! :)

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/ ... 83840.html

El Gordo
El Gordo

Postby El Gordo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:55 pm

Mark,

I experimented with the overlay graphs and these are very close to what I was referring to, but I wish the options of what is "tracked" in the graphs could be expanded to include more selections.

My initial attempt at the overlay graph was poorly displayed, everything was all "squished" to the right hand side of the screen and appeared like a spaghetti rainbow thrown at a wall. The date range was set to cover 2002 - 2019. I did not open this specific account until September, 2017. It required several minutes for me to notice that the date range on the X axis was beyond the past for my account history.

With the assistance of your HELP menu, I was able to learn how to alter the date range for the graph within less than 60 seconds. The graphs now look GREAT, especially since all of my lines are higher in elevation on the right hand side! :)

I thought you might enjoy that last paragraph.

El Gordo
El Gordo

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:27 am

Hi El Gordo,

Understood it doesn't plot the other metrics you mentioned, but glad you got it working better.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs