Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

green circles?

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby darrell » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:30 am

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 11.28.39.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 11.28.39.png (13.96 KiB) Viewed 2137 times

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 11.28.25.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 11.28.25.png (15.53 KiB) Viewed 2137 times

Hi -- I can't work out what the green circles around some investment transactions are, on the 'share price' graph? the docs suggest they are 'unspecified lots' but there's nothing but buys and sells in the history for the investments where they show up. see attached...

thanks
darrell

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:00 am

Hi darrell,

Yes, they are "un-specified lot" markers. That means any buy (or sell for short positions) that has this marker on it has not been sold. It remains available to be sold. This is using the "Specified Lot" accounting method to determine which lots are still available to be sold. Specified lot markers will only show if all sell transactions for an investment have been fully specified.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby darrell » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:39 am

Ok thanks -- I need to go through the various places I've seen this to reconcile your description with my understanding of it. Many thanks.
darrell

Postby darrell » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:46 pm

Ok, can you point me to the relevant place in the documentation? I don't really understand the conditions under which this marker will appear -- in my data, it seems to only be shown for open positions where there are no previous trades in the investment concerned.

I'm lost at '
This is using the "Specified Lot" accounting method to determine which lots are still available to be sold. Specified lot markers will only show if all sell transactions for an investment have been fully specified."

A quick Google doesn't help clarify, sorry.

Thanks
darrell

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:10 am

Hi darrell,

Fund Manager can calculate taxable gains/losses using any of 3 accounting methods: FIFO, AVG, or Specific Lot. When using Specific Lot you must designate which shares you sold for every recorded closing (sell transaction for long positions) transaction. You do this in the Specify Lots dialog.

When displaying un-specified lot markers, FM uses the Specific Lot accounting method, whether or not you have that assigned to your investment. The un-specified lot markers are only shown for investments that you've "fully specified". This means for every closing transaction you've gone in and specified which shares were sold. If you don't have any closing transactions, then this is also fully specified. This is probably why you're only seeing these un-specified lot markers on investments where you don't have any closing transactions.

Also, if you use the Search link at the bottom of any page on our site, that is a Google search of our site only, so it will help find what you're looking for better.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs