Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Keeping minor investments from being charted?

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby nagorak » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:53 pm

I have some very small positions in closed mutual funds that I keep open just so I can purchase them in the future if I want to. Since these positions are so small, I'm not really concerned about their performance, which has a negligible impact on my portfolio returns anyway.

Unfortunately, when I graph my asset allocation using a pie chart, these tiny positions are reflected in the the chart. One position comprises 0.08% of my portfolio, yet it is still listed in the key (can't actually even see it on the pie itself).

I tried hiding these funds, hoping they would not be graphed, but they still are. My question is, is there anyway to indicate that a fund should not be included in any graphs or charts, short of the obvious act of removing it from the portfolio entirely.

If that is not possible, I would like to suggest that an option be considered for future releases where you can choose to have certain investments not included in graphs and charts. 8)
nagorak

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi nagorak,

You can 'hide' an investment, and it will be excluded from the investment based graphs (like 'Share Price'), but it will still be incorporated into any portfolio based graphs, since it is still in your portfolio. Excluding it from a pie chart, when it has a non-zero value would make the pie chart incorrect.

You might consider editing the investment, so it has a zero balance. This will eliminate it from the pie charts. You can still keep it in your portfolio, and purchase it again later if you want. It isn't necessary to keep a small balance in order to purchase it again later.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs