Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Trendlines shifted with blended investments

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi Mark,

I've created several blended investments. A strange thing happens: the trendlines I draw on them become regularly misaligned. I draw some trendlines carefully, save the investments, and a few days later the trendlines are shifted (have drifted). It is not related to currencies, my blended investments are always in the default currency position. Do you see any reason for this? My idea is that perhaps the prices (or start value) of the blended investment change as new prices come.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

No, I don't see a reason for the trendline itself to move. The prices can of course change if the source investment's prices change. I would suggest recording the trendline's start/end values, and check that they aren't changing. If you right mouse click on an investment based graph, and choose "Trendlines..." you can see numerical values for your trendlines. Those shouldn't change, unless you change them.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:52 am

Hi Mark,

I've monitored day by day a blended investment with its trendlines (the same problem occurs with my other blended investments by the way).

The screenshots I had taken a week ago:
1- Graph: https://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/5514 ... before.png
2- Trendline values: https://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/9733 ... before.png
3- Data Register (from first prices): https://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/2705 ... before.png

Since then, automatic price retrievals each day (each 3 hours), and a historical retrieval last saturday for the former 15 days.
All OK during 7 days. This morning, the trendlines were still OK. But, when I check again around 12'00 am, the problem again.

The screenshots with the current state:
1- Graph: https://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/4822 ... hafter.png
2- Trendline values: https://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/5484 ... safter.png
3- Data Register (from first prices): https://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/5539 ... rafter.png

So the problem are the prices, they have changed, and even the first prices (in 1999). I can assure you I haven't done anything on the prices in particular this morning! (except the retrievals).
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:14 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

I see the prices are changing, and not the trendline data. Is this investment a destination using this command:

File / File Operations / Create Blended Investment...

or are you using:

Create Investment from Investments... ?

I tried to reproduce this with the Create Blended Investment... command. Retrieving daily and historical prices did not change the starting point as it has for you.

Does this problem happen on other blended investments, or just this one?

Were prices being retrieved when this problem happened, or do you know what specifically triggered the change?

If you look at all the source investments, did any of their data change?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:07 am

Hi Mark,

The Create Blended Investment command is only used here. The Create Investment from Investments is not involved in the process. I have never had this issue with investments created with the Create Investment from Investments command (more than 200), or regular investments. Issue only with the investments from the Create Blended Investment command.

I've compared closely the two graphs before/after. The price line is strictly identical in the two graphs (they can be superposed). But the Y-Axis values have shifted. It is clear that the starting price (in 1999) has changed, and with it all the prices after. The algorithm has changed the starting price by itself along the way. This change would go unnoticed without the trendlines.

I tried to reproduce this with the Create Blended Investment command. Retrieving daily and historical prices did not change the starting point as it has for you

I haven't found what command or action could cause the issue. Seveval days without having the issue, and this morning I have retrieved the prices and browsed the investments as usual. Perhaps I've just restarted FM. I will be more vigilant to what specifically can trigger the change in the future.
PS : but now I see that the starting price has changed again compared to the screenshot taken this morning... And again, with only daily retrievals (not historical) done today.

If you look at all the source investments, did any of their data change?

I don't think so. I'm sure prices have not changed in the source investments.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Would you be willing to use a debug version for a while, so we can log some information on this calculation, to try and figure out what is happening?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Of course, just let me know what to do.

Another information that comes to my mind, most of my destination investments for the "Create Blended Investment" command have been created first with the command "New Investment from Existing" ("Copy pricing data" unselected). That is, cloned from an existing destination investment. Don't know if is could be related, but just in case.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks. I've sent you an email with instructions.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs