Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Moving Average interpolation

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:50 am

Hi Mark,

I've noticed that a moving average in a graph starts from the inception price. Is it calculated with interpolation? I would prefer that the first dot of a MA appear only where there is enough prices to calculate it with accuracy.

Thanks.
Last edited by Djobydjoba on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:14 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Yes, prices are interpolated prior to the first recorded price in a flat line, based off the first recorded price. This means the first plotted moving average is the first recorded price. Maybe we could use the yield interpolation range settings to allow you to control this behavior. If you don't allow interpolation prior to earliest recorded data, we wouldn't plot the moving average until enough recorded data is available.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:43 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the explanation, interesting to know. Finally I'm not so sure about this request, because I find that MAs plotted with interpolation are pretty relevant and interesting to keep after all... The option to disable interpolation for MAs could be interesting to have and play with. But I would prefer the possibility to disable interpolation for MAs only and not to have to disable interpolation for other calculations. So, a specific option. Anyway, I think the current state is quite OK for me in fact.

Thanks.
Djobydjoba

Return to Graphs