Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Cost - Value Report Not Updating Changes

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby B2B_Investing » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi Mark,

I noticed something that started happening in the last few weeks (?) Usually I update prices and download the transactions ether after market close that day or before market open the next day. Historically the graph would show the change in the value and cost in parenthesis after the actual values. Lately I will update prices after market close (usually the next morning before market open) and watch the actual value/cost change but the numbers in parenthesis will remain as zero. Is this working as intended? I like the old way that told me what the change was as of the market close the previous day if the market were not currently open.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi Jason,

The number in parenthesis is the change from the day prior to the ending graph date to the ending graph date. Look at this date, and then look at your recorded pricing data in the Data Register.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:05 am

Hi Mark,

I an using a portfolio cost - value graph that has a set start date and a floating end date. The first image is after I had retrieved/updated prices. The price did increase the value in the second image below but the change amount did not update. (I missed getting the original state screen capture before the cost increased)

with_transactions_enddateof1013.jpg
First image to review. This is after I update prices and retrieve transactions on 10/13 before market open. Note the last five digits of the cost and value.
with_transactions_enddateof1013.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 2670 times

In all cases, I retrieve/update prices and then retrieve transactions. Once I change the date of the graph to 10/12. Something updates and the change values correctly calculate.

with_transactions_enddateof1012.jpg
Second image to review. This is immediately after the first attachment. The only difference was I changed the end date to 10/12. I have never had to do this before.
with_transactions_enddateof1012.jpg (12.37 KiB) Viewed 2670 times

I am not sure why it is doing this since the last price would be 10/12. Historically I have never changed the date for a graph. I am certain I have pulled this information the following day to review. (i.e. Saturday morning to review research obtained Friday after market close.) Am I missing something?

Jason

(Edit: The above is at the root level of my portfolio hierarchy. That said, as I am typing this, I recall I did recently change the portfolio hierarchy and need to put in my wife's password for two very minor accounts that are part of the reporting. Those two securities would have a last date of a few weeks ago)
Last edited by B2B_Investing on Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:51 am

Hi Jason,

It sounds like you're getting a price updated for 10/13, and that price is the same as your 10/12 price. When you have 0 for the change, look at the ending graph date (lower/right). Then, go look at the recorded closing prices in the Data Register (Edit / All Data...). Set the Data Type to "Prices". One or more of your investments likely has a 10/13 price recorded, causing the ending graph date to float to 10/13. If you don't have different prices (or no 10/13 price in some investments) on 10/13 compared to 10/12, the change will be 0. You can look after you retrieve prices, and then look after you retrieve transactions (which also updates prices), and see when/where the 10/13 price is getting updated in your investment. An easy way to find which investment is getting a 10/13 price is to use a Custom report with the field "Latest price date".

Some quote servers update prices for the date specified by the server, and some update for the current date. It varies depending on the server. The transaction retrieve also updates prices for the date specified by the broker. You just need to see how/where the 10/13 price is getting updated.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:01 am

Thanks Mark for the detailed reply. I will do what you suggest.

Some of our recent conversations about asset classes and sectors updates came back to the quote server changing how it was updating data for certain securities. I wonder if that is the case here.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby B2B_Investing » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:01 am

Hi Mark,

That report answered the questions. You were absolutely correctly. I had a couple of new investments that had updated pricing for 10/13 that were unchanged from the day before. Thanks!

Jason
B2B_Investing

Return to Graphs