Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Error Exporting Cost-Value Graph Data

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:49 am

Hi Mark,

I am having trouble exporting the data points of the Cost-Value Graph. My method is to click on the graph, click file --> export --> Other --> Graph Data Points. FM appears to create the export file without error. However, when I open the exported file, I was expecting to see three columns: a date column and two columns of data (cost and value). Instead there are only two columns:

MM/DD/YY
PORTFOLIO VALUE: Portfolio Name

The data in the Value column appears to be the report's cost data. Is the export working as intended?

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:37 am

Hi Jason,

I see the same problem, thanks. It is only exporting the "cost" line, and not the "value". We'll get this corrected.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:53 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks. As always an excellent product.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi Jason,

Upon closer examination, both the value and cost data is exported. It is not exported in the format you were expecting though. It is exported for all dates for a single line at a time. For example:

MM/DD/YY,PORTFOLIO VALUE: Holdings
01/02/2012,1000.00
MM/DD/YY,PORTFOLIO COST: Holdings
01/02/2012,900.00

So, if you scroll down in your exported file, you should see the cost data points plotted below the value data points.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:29 pm

I see it now Mark. It would be easier in two columns, but I can work with this.

Thanks,

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi Jason,

Understood, and agree, it would be better if it were formatted as you were expecting.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:28 am

Hi Mark,

I am going to post a prioritized wish list of requests on another post, but, I want to let you in on some of my thinking. The columns above are helpful because I am having to drop datasets out to Excel to build a few graphs and matrixes. (Tedious!) This, incrementally, gives me a better way to do that. The benchmark overlay on a graph is POWERFUL, but, I have to export data from multiple sub-portfolios to get around the inability to run that graph by investment goal to reduce the noise of short-dated FI investments with other investment goals. The preference is to not spend hours designing and running the workarounds. (If there is a better way to organize the Portfolio I am open to it)

You have an amazing product. Every time I incrementally increase my use, stabilize it and then dig deeper into the functionality, I am just stunned. Thank you for leveling the playing field for the individual investor.

(At some point I will upgrade to Professional, I promise). I am someone who is not a day trader or a technical trader, but someone who actively manages his portfolio and is trying to beef up the fundamental analysis of the portfolio as a whole. Thanks again!

Jason
B2B_Investing

Return to Graphs