Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Display name of sub-portfolio

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby Matt » Sat May 09, 2015 10:17 am

Hi Mark,
I can display the name of the Portfolio and the File location on a graph, but could not find a way to display the name of sub-portfolios in that portfolio.
It would be convenient, whilst scrolling through a portfolio stack, to know in which sub-portfolio a particular investment is located. There is a field "subport" to insert but in my programme this gives me the portfolio name. "Subportacct" gives nothing.
Maybe you can help?
Thanks Matt
PS: I always wanted to ask: How do I delete to delete an investment or subportfolio? Is close and delete the same?
Matt

Postby Mark » Sat May 09, 2015 11:57 am

Hi Matt,

If you use [[SUBPORT]] that will display the name of the "Active" sub-portfolio for your graph window. This is the sub-portfolio selected under the top level "Portfolio" menu in a graph window. I suspect what you're looking for is a field that shows the name of the lowest left sub-portfolio containing the displayed investment? For example, if you have:

Code: Select all
- Master Portfolio
  - Acct 1
    o Investment ABC

and you have "Master Portfolio" selected as the Active portfolio, the SUBPORT field will display "Master Portfolio", and not "Acct 1". Are you looking for a way to display "Acct 1"? If so, that isn't an option today, but we can consider adding it.

Yes, "closing" an investment or sub-portfolio removes it from the program completely. It does not delete any investment files from your hard drive though, so you could potentially open them again later.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Mon May 11, 2015 1:03 am

Hi Mark,

thanks for your reply. You've got it exactly right. When I scroll through graphs from a report list containing all investments in the Master Account I can get lots of useful info in the legend text of the graph but not the actual account it sits in. I think this would be a useful thing have!

About closing/deleting - I assume that means every investment *.dat file ever created with FM will stay on the hard disk unless deleted from outside the programm?

Thanks! Great program
Matt
Matt

Postby Mark » Mon May 11, 2015 7:57 am

Hi Matt,

Thanks, that would be a good new field to add... Yes, you are correct, no investment files are ever deleted from the hard drive from within the program.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs