Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Investment Overlay Graph with date range of overlayed invest

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby SHAREVJ » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:49 pm

Investment Overlay Graph with date range of overlayed investment

In overlay graph, I am trying to overlay my investments against a reference investment (ex:Index of stock exchange). In this, when I use the date range as "earliest transaction date", the reference investment date is taken for the "earliest transaction date", whereas I want the overlayed investment's date to taken for "earliest transaction date". This will help me to analyse, from the earliest transaction date date of each overlayed investment's whether they have performed better than the referenced investment. I know, the date range can be manually changed to each instrument's earliest transaction date however, I would prefer it automatic since I have 50 investments to check like this. By automatic, when I scroll the mouse, I will get the next instrument and its reference date of earliest transaction date should be taken for the graph.

Example
Stock Name : Earliest Transaction Date
Stock Index (Reference Investment) : 01/Jan/2008
Stock A : 23/Jul/2008
Stock B : 30/Nov/2009
Stock C : 21/May/2010
Stock D : 30/Dec/2011
Stock E : 21/Mar/2012
Stock F : 30/Apr/2013
Stock G : 15/Jun/2014

In this example, when I scroll the mouse to select next investment to be overlayed, I want the earliest transaction date to be taken from the overlayed investment (Stock A,B,C ..). At present it is taking only the Referenced Investment's (Stock Index) Earliest Transaction date.

Please help
SHAREVJ

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:43 am

Hi SHAREVJ,

Unfortunately, there is no way to do exactly what you're requesting. You can of course change the date range, but there is no setting to automatically change this as you scroll overlayed investments. This is something we can consider adding, as it would be a nice feature. About the best I can suggest is that after you scroll, you pick "TRN" from the date dropdown choice in the toolbar.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby SHAREVJ » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:51 am

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the reply. Please do consider for this feature since it will be very useful for anyone to verify the investment performance from the date the start investing against an Index stock or even inflation value.

Regarding the manual method, Though I use it manually, the big difficulty is every time I have to find out when I started to buy the stock and select date range to adjust it. When I use the "TRN" is always taking the referenced stock's earliest transaction date and not the one which is overlayed.

A fix to this will help a very good analysis.
SHAREVJ

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:03 am

Hi SHAREVJ,

If you put your overlaid investment first, and your reference investment (benchmark/index) second in the "Overlaid Investments..." dialog, you can then scroll through the investments in the first (overlaid) position, keeping the reference investment in place. The date range choices in the graph date range dropdown are applied based off the first overlaid investment. So, you should be able to scroll (arrow/page/mouse wheel), and then pick "TRN" from the date dropdrown, and have it work as you desire. It will figure out your earliest recorded transaction date for you automatically.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby SHAREVJ » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:18 am

Hello Mark,

I did exactly the same as you have suggested, but it still holding on to the referenced stock's earliest transaction date and not changing to overlayed stock's earliest transaction date (i.e) the graph still starts from the earliest transaction date of reference stock and not from the overlayed stock's earliest transaction date.

What i tried.
In the "Overlaid Investments" Dialog box, first I selected the reference stock (Stock exchange's index stock INDXSTK), then I selected my stock (Stock A) as next. In the "overlaid Investments" list box, now I have

Stock A
INDXSTK

I selected "TRN" From tool bar list, immediately it redrawn the graph with INDXSTK's earliest transaction date. Please Note: The graph was not taking the overlaid investment's (Stock A) earliest transaction date instead it picked the reference stock's (INDXSTK) earliest transaction date.

When I scroll using mouse wheel, the Overlayed stock changed to Stock B, I opened the "Overlaid Investments" Dialog box and checked how they are arranged and the following arrangement in the list box

Stock B
INDXSTK

Though the Stock B is now overlayed, even I click again the "TRN" from the tool bar list, the graph is not redrawing to use the overlayed (Stock B) earliest transaction date and remained to use the referenced stock's earliest transaction date only.

Please advice if I am doing anything wrong from your direction.
SHAREVJ

Postby SHAREVJ » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:35 am

One update on my earlier post, I got the change as mentioned by you and also found what was wrong earlier. When my Referenced Stock (INDXSTK) is not in the same sub-folder where the overlayed stocks are listed, then the TRN option itself is not changing as I scroll, whereas, when I select any other stock in the sub-folder where overlayed stocks are there as reference stock then every time I scroll the "TRN" option in the list is changing to "..." and once I select the "TRN" again it is working as mentioned by (ie. It is taking the overlaid stock's earliest transaction date properly).

One more thing, to verify whether it is a problem related to sub-folder, I moved the INDXSTK to the same folder and tried again the same, this time also the "TRN" did not change as scroll the mouse wheel. This is peculiar. Hence I thought since the type of the INDXSTK is selected as Index, it is behaving like this. So, I changed the type to "stock" for INDXSTK and tried the graph again, still the "TRN" is not changing. I could not find out the reason for this strange behavior.
SHAREVJ

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:56 am

Hi SHAREVJ,

When you select TRN from the drop-down the date range is set to earliest transaction to date. The earliest transaction date is determined by looking at all the overlaid investments (not just the first one as I mentioned previously). So, if you don't have any transactions in your index, then the earliest transaction date will always come from the stock/fund you are comparing against the index.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby SHAREVJ » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:59 am

Hello Mark,

In my INDXSTK (reference stock), i have only one transaction which is date 01/Jan/2008. Whereas in my overlaid stocks there are more transactions.

Let

Hence even by going with your view point, going with my example
Example
Stock Name : Earliest Transaction Date
INDXSTK (Reference Investment) : 01/Jan/2008
Stock A : 23/Jul/2008, 29/Aug/2008 ...
Stock B : 30/Nov/2009, ....
Stock C : 21/May/2010, ....
Stock D : 30/Dec/2011, ....
Stock E : 21/Mar/2012, ....
Stock F : 30/Apr/2013, ....
Stock G : 15/Jun/2014, ....

When I overlay investments INDXSTK with "Stock A" at first and select "TRN", it should select 23/Jul/2008 as the start date for the graph but it takes INDXSTK's date 01/Jan/2008. When scroll my mouse wheel, :Stock B" is getting overlaid over INDXSTK but "TRN" does not go away. Though I select "TRN" again, it still does not change the start date of the graph from 01/Jan/2008 to 30/Nov/2009.

In contrary to this, If I use "Stock A" as the reference stock and overlay it with "Stock B" then if I select "TRN" it is taking 30/Nov/2009 as the start date and when I scroll my mouse wheel, "Stock C" is getting overlaid and "TRN" changes to "..." and then when I select "TRN" again, it changes the start date of graph to 21/May/2009.

My question is why is it not changing similarly with INDXSTK. Please advice
SHAREVJ

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:58 am

Hi SHAREVJ,

The TRN date selection picks the earliest transaction date of all overlaid investments. So, in the case where you are overlaying:

INDXSTK (Reference Investment) : 01/Jan/2008
Stock A : 23/Jul/2008, 29/Aug/2008 ...

The TRN will give a start date of 01/Jan/2008, since this is before 23/Jul/2008. When you overlay INDXSTK with Stock B, the earliest date is still 01/Jan/2008, so that will again be the start date.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby SHAREVJ » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:39 pm

Hello Mark,

Yes, you nailed it. Thank you for the patience. Regarding the feature of automatic selection earliest date of overlaid investment, I request you to consider it in your future updates. At least when only two stocks are selected, this feature shall be provided since when more than two, your existing logic should be fine I guess along with automatic selection.
SHAREVJ

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:21 am

Hi SHAREVJ,

Thanks for the feedback, we will consider this for a future update.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby SHAREVJ » Thu May 14, 2015 7:18 am

Hello Mark,

Any update on this feature. I find this feature as extremely and urgently required, since I want to calculate the yield of each of stock if I have invested in gold/any other stock instead of this stock whether it would have given a better yield.

I have 100 stocks with varied first transaction date, I want to compare each of this stock against gold/index/another stock. I want graphical as well as textual report if possible. Please help
SHAREVJ

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:46 am

Hi SHAREVJ,

I don't have any updates on this. The one suggestion I don't think we followed up on was if you use a benchmark with no transactions. Is this possible for your usage?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby SHAREVJ » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:52 am

Hell Mark,
Even when I am Using a benchmark with no transaction, it is not taking the first transaction date of overlaid investment and taking either the first price date or once I select first transaction date, it sticks to that for subsequent overlaid investments as well.
For example,
MICROSOFT, start transaction date 03-May-2009
INTEL, start transaction date 09-Sep-2010
Benchmark, no transaction date but first price is 01-Jan-2007
I am overlaying Microsoft over Benchmark and it takes 01-Jan-2007 by default, if I change the start date to first transaction date, it takes 03-May-2009 (Microsoft's ) however, once I scroll and Intel is overlaid, the start date is not changing to 09-Sep-2010 but remains at 03-May-2009.
Please advice. All I want is to automatically take the start date of overlaid instrument's first transaction date.
SHAREVJ

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:34 am

Hi SHAREVJ,

I see the same problem... I will see about getting this improved.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs