Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

CALCs for ROI

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby fundman247 » Sun May 04, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi Mark,

Could you perhaps comment on why I get NA to the yield when using ROI.

The instrument had a long position from 25 Oct 2013 up to 05 Nov 2013. On 06 Nov 2013 there was a short position. During the 6 months there were various times of being long and short.

The last short position was on 18 Feb 2014. There was also a long position all the way up to now with only the period 24 Feb to 03 Mar there there was a zero value.

If one looks at the 6 month period the date would be 03 Nov 2013 up to 02 May 2014. If one had to go a day or 2 before the six month period there was a long long position.If one had to go up to 2 days after the start of the six month period there was also a long position.

With this in mind I would expect FM to be able to calculate a ROI as opposed to the move of the price without taking cash flows into account.

Time weighted does display a yield.

I have tried all the different combinations for yield. Tick/untick - Only report ROI if owned for entire period. Have tried using interpolation range of between 2 and 5. I have also tick/untick - Allow interpolation prior to earliest recorded data. also tried each combination with linear or step. Not a single combination gives me a ROI.

If I look over a 12 month period I get the same NA for ROI. Over this period the year started with zero value. I then bought some on 06-06-2013 before starting to sell and go short and ending with a long position. This to my mind should also show a ROI instead of NA.

For the 3 month period that shows NA I can understand as 3 months ago there was a short position.
Don't stay in bed....unless you can make money in bed - George Burns
However beautiful the strategy, you should occcasionally look at the results - Winston Churchill

Remeber and practise it!!!!!!
fundman247

Postby Mark » Sun May 04, 2014 12:25 pm

Hi fundman247,

Take a look at the calculation log, it will explain why you're getting an N/A for ROI. If you're in a report, use "Help / Report Calculation Log...". If these are the yields above a graph, use "Help / Graph Calculation Log...". If you still have questions on why after this, please let me know what the log reports.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs