Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

FM 13.1 freezing

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby fundman247 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi Mark,

I would just like to report something that I got 3 times in the last 3 days.

The problem would always occur after one has updated some info - either prices or transactions.

The window goes into a lighter color as Win 7 would do if a window is bigger than the screen area. The operation system is fine and it is only FM that freezes as per the attached picture.

Regards.
fundman247
Attachments
_CUT-080-30-04-14.jpg
Grey color when FM freezes.
_CUT-080-30-04-14.jpg (37.58 KiB) Viewed 3697 times
Don't stay in bed....unless you can make money in bed - George Burns
However beautiful the strategy, you should occcasionally look at the results - Winston Churchill

Remeber and practise it!!!!!!
fundman247

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi fundman247,

Thanks for the problem report. Does it just stay like that forever then? If you look at the Task Manager, is the Fm.exe process consuming any CPU? Are you able to perform any certain steps that can reproduce the problem, or is is just random? If you are able to reproduce it, can you create a backup (*.FMB) file, and email it to us, along with instructions on how to reproduce the problem?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby fundman247 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:34 pm

It is at random. In the task manager you can see it is using resources but there is still free memory and processing power.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occcasionally look at the results - Winston Churchill

fundman247

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi fundman247,

Okay, thanks. These are tricky to track down when they are random. If you look in the Task Manager, and go to the "Processes" tab, and look on the line for "Fm.exe", what does it say in the "CPU" column when this freezing is happening?

Also, if you look under your top level "Windows" menu, how many total windows do you normally have open? In the screenshot I can see the one graph window, but I'm wondering if you maybe also have other windows open, or is it just this one graph window?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby fundman247 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:40 am

I would only have one process of FM open at a time.

I will have up to 5 spreadsheets but in one process of Excel.

I would have my trading application running in Java open.

I would also have Thunderbird e-mail client open.

With all of this my PC always has some processing power and memory available and I am running a big swap file as I have a lot of space on my HD.

I have the memory and processor speedometer open at all times.

When FM freezes it does not unfreeze by itself and I have to end task it. While it is freezing I can use my e-mail, trading app and Excel without problems.

I have never had this freezing problem in previous versions of FM. My Win 7 is also only 3 months old so not too many junk left behind over time in the registry.

Hope this helps but it is not serious. The only problem is it does happen and always after I have manually updated some transactions or prices. I have to mention I do update some data throughout the day so it does not happen that often.

fundman247

Postby Mark » Thu May 01, 2014 8:40 am

Hi fundman247,

Okay, thanks for the information. We'll keep an eye out for this, and if you are able to figure anything else out that might narrow down our search for the problem, please let us know.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby fundman247 » Sun May 04, 2014 1:53 am

Some more info on the freezing.

I got it to freeze again. It was directly after I updated transactions and when I chose portfolio gain. FM managed to draw the graph and immediately froze. At that point the processor was 100% busy. It does seem it is during some calculations that it happens.

What I find very strange is that after the freeze when I open FM from my shortcut it always opens a certain portfolio which is a portfolio which is at about no 9 in my last portfolio opened list. It does not open the last portfolio at start up as per the options set or the actual portfolio that I click with my shortcut. I open FM not by running the fm.exe file but the portfolio that I use most often to launch FM via my quick launch bar in WIN7.

While the processor was 100% busy I managed to close my browser, excel and other programs but FM stayed in the frozen(not responding) mode and I had to end task it. The other programs allowed me to save the files that were modified since being opened.

Regards.

fundman247

Postby Mark » Sun May 04, 2014 9:38 am

Hi fundman247,

Sorry about the troubles. Would you be okay with sharing your data with us, so we could try to reproduce the problem using your data? We haven't seen this problem, so there may be something specific to your data/settings that can cause this problem. If you're okay with this, please use "File / Backup..." and create a *.FMB backup file, and email that to us. Do this in the portfolio file that you think has the best chance of reproducing the problem. Please also try to give me some tips on how to reproduce it, like were you manually recording some transaction? Were you in the Data Register, or what?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby fundman247 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:41 am

I replied in the feedback section. The last freeze was when I moved from an instrument price&distr to the portfolio gain. I did not modify any data.

fundman247

Return to Graphs