Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Yields Showing Top Of Portfolio Graphs

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby portaferry » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:49 pm

I never have had this issue over many years of using Fund Manager. I am now using latest version & note yield not showing at top of graph such as "portfolio cost - value". Ie the Display is NA not the yield. They do however who for individual stocks. Any suggestions how to resolve?
portaferry

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:48 am

Hi portaferry,

If you turn on "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted", does that fix the problem? If so, please read this:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_ ... encies.php

If that isn't the problem, take a look at "Help / Graph Calculation Log..." and that should explain why you're not seeing some of your yields.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby portaferry » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Mark,

Thank you for your feedback - the log does say " (ROI yields not available for objects containing different currencies (P and $). Turn on "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted" to see yield with data adjusted to default currency.)."

However the view exchange rate adjusted is turned on & if I toggle off and on this does not achieve a result. Any other suggestions?

Regards Gary Wilson
portaferry

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi Gary,

Are you sure? Do you see a check mark next to "Exchange Rate Adjusted" in the menu? What graph type are you looking at?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby portaferry » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:10 pm

Yes I am sure there is a tick against View / Exchange Rate Adjusted - also this issue impacts all portfolio graphs e.g. "Portfolio Cost - Value"

I have 6 currencies plus the default currencies but I noted beyond that list I have a list of extraneous(?) data in the currency settings list but all, but all set to constant data = 1. On checking none of this material is linked to any investments so it should not be a problem.

I must have used Fund Manager for close to 20 years now & this is one of the very rare glitches I have experienced - Could it be connected to recent change over to 2014 version?
portaferry

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi Gary,

Okay, I think I'd need to take a look at this then. I'm sure it does have something to do with the new 2014 version. In this version we added the option to prevent summing across currencies. Turning on "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted" should make everything display in the same default currency, but maybe something else is going on. Can you either give me a call at 480-705-0129 or email me a backup copy of your data? If you'd like to call, I will connect into your computer, so we can take a look at it together. If you would rather email me a *.FMB backup file, I can see if I can reproduce the problem here. I'll send you an email, so if you want to do that method, you can just reply to the email with the attachment. Use "File / Save Portfolio", and then "File / Backup..." while you're viewing the problematic graph yields. This will create the *.FMB file to send us. Thanks for your help.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for sending your data. I see the issue. You have a hidden investment "UK Pound Sterling (GBP)" that has all of these properties:

- It is included within the portfolio you're graphing
- It is assigned to a non-default currency (P)
- It is assigned as an investment type of "Exchange Rate"

Exchange rate type of investments are never adjusted, so even when you turn on "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted" that investment stays in P, and is not exchanged into your default currency ($).

There are several solutions to this:

1) Turn on "Options / General Preferences... / Other / Allow Summing Values from Different Currencies". This basically reverts to the 12.x behavior, and allows summing of values, no matter what currency they are in. This isn't a preferred solution, but you can do it.

2) Change that investment's currency property to be in $ and not P. You don't own any shares in it anyway, and you're just using it for an exchange rate investment, so its currency property doesn't matter for that. Changing it to $ will mean everything is in $ when you turn on "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted", and your yields will display.

3) Move your exchange rate investments into another sub-portfolio, separate from your actual holdings. It is usually best to separate actual holdings from exchange rate investments (and things like indices), as they aren't actually part of your portfolio. For example:

Code: Select all
- Master Portfolio
  - My Account
  - Exchange Rates

and put all your investments in "My Account", and all your exchange rate investments in "Exchange Rates". When graphing/reporting, just view the "My Account" sub-portfolio.

Any of these will work, I'd probably suggest doing both #2 and #3, but you can do whichever you prefer.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby portaferry » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:12 pm

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your help. I have done option 2 - which solves problem & will work on portfolio structure as suggested. Really appreciate the great support. As a Mac user I have hunted long & hard for a Fund Manager replacement without success, ... and given up on that quest, ... I just find Fund Manager meets my needs so I run it as do others on my iMac via Parallels Desktop & do not seem to have any problems doing it this way.

All the best Gary
portaferry

Return to Graphs