Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

gph Return is N.A. for one investment

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby spenser1fan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:48 pm

I have been using Fund Manager for my personal investments for several years now and currently use version 10.9. I have several sub-portfolios under 1 master portfolio. The graphs for all investments except one show a return for each graph. This one investment shows a gph return of N.A. There is a second investment in the same portfolio that is for the same mutual fund but for another person in the family and the gph return is correct. Thanks for your help.
spenser1fan

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:01 pm

Hello spenser1fan,

The most common reason for an N/A on a yield is missing price points. Figure out the yield term you're looking at, and then go see what prices you have recorded for that investment. For example, if the 1Y yield is showing N/A and your graph ends on 1/14/13, you would need pricing for 1/15/12 and 1/14/13 to calculate this yield. When one of the dates falls on a weekend Fund Manager can "Interpolate" a price for you. You can control how flexible Fund Manager is in interpolating missing prices. See "Options / Yields / Interpolation Range...".

If you seem to have your pricing recorded correctly, and are still getting N/A, you can turn on yield logging. See "Options / General Preferences... / Yields / Log Calculation Details for ROI/TWR Yields". Press the "Help..." button in this dialog for help finding the log file.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby spenser1fan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Mark, I found the problem from the TWR_log.txt report. On 9/26/1996, according to the mutual fund statement, the first purchase was made in this mutual fund and on that same day the fund took out $12.50 for an account fee. Fund Manager saw this, according to the TWR log, as trying to take out $12.50 from a $0 balance in the fund. I just changed the account fee date to 9/29/1997 in Fund Manager and now the gph return is shown above the graph for this investment. Is this something that needs to be looked at by you. Thanks
spenser1fan

Postby spenser1fan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:53 pm

Also, I notice that the sub-portfolios price cost - value graphs also have a gph of NA; is this because the investments in the sub-portfolios do not all start on the same date?
spenser1fan

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi spenser1fan,

Glad you fixed that first problem. Yes having a fee deducted when you own 0 shares would cause a negative value, resulting in an N/A for TWR. TWR cannot report when the value ever goes negative.

The investments in a sub-portfolio don't have to start on the same date to get a TWR. As long as the value of the combined object remains positive you can get a TWR. You might take another look at your yield log file for an understanding of why it isn't reporting.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs