Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Creating Categories Below Sub Portfolios

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby jpost » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:07 am

I'm brand new so this might be simple. I have 8 accounts with a bunch of investments. I'm trying to set-up a simple allocation model with basically 2 categories, stocks and bonds. But what I'd like to be able to see is sub to these two categories. Example a stock "pie" made-up of subcategories of Large Cap, Small Cap, International, etc.

It seems to me a pretty common approach so I'm guessing Fund Manager can do it -- any help is appreciated.

Merry Christmas!
jpost

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:50 am

Hi jpost,

You can have several properties that help you sub-total/filter your reports. For example, there is the "Investment Type" which you assign each investment to some investment type, like Stock or Bond. You can sub-total, list, or filter by this investment type in reports. In the pie charts you mentioned you can also plot a pie chart by this investment type.

In addition to the Investment Type, you also have 2 general purpose categories called Asset Type and Investment Goal. You can customize these labels (Options / Category Labels...), and use them for any purpose you want. You can assign each investment to percentages into these 2 categories. You can do all the same graphing/reporting for these categories as you can the investment type.

It sounds like you want to do sub-totals by both investment type and a category. In reports you can sub-total by one, and filter out/in by the other. You can't do a double sub-total though. See the "Filter..." button in the Report Settings... dialog.

In graphs, you can't filter, other than choosing the sub-portfolio to report on and the graph type.

You might experiment and see if using the sub-totals plus filtering in your reports gives you the information the way you want to see it. If not, the other option would be to create sub-portfolios and organize the investments the way you want. Typically you want 1 sub-portfolio for each account. You can group these accounts into higher level sub-portfolios in any way you want, with as much hierarchy as you want. You can also create "link" sub-portfolios to place an exact copy of a sub-portfolio somewhere else in the hierarchy. However, if you wanted to separate out bonds/stocks that were both in the same account there isn't an easy way to do this with sub-portfolios. You'd have to place the same investment in the original account sub, and also in the stock/bond sub. For example, you could do something like this:

Code: Select all
- Master Portfolio
  - My Accounts
    - Acct 1
      - Stock 1
      - Bond 1
    - Acct 2
      - Stock 2
      - Bond 2
  - Bonds
    - Bond 1
    - Bond 2
  - Stocks 
    - Stock 1
    - Stock 2

You could then run a report at the Bonds or Stocks sub-portfolio, and sub-total by an asset type or investment goal.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jpost » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks Mark, I'll give your ideas a try.
jpost

Return to Graphs