Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Investments order question

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:39 am

Hi Mark,

My sub-portfolio tree looks like that:

Root
- Accounts
--- Account 1
--- Account 2
--- Etc.
- Library
--- US Equities
--- European Equities
--- Etc.

In the library are the funds or other products that I monitor. When I decide to pass an order for a fund, I make a copy of the appropriate investment from the library to the appropriate account, and here I record the transactions. This is the best approach I've found, to separate accounts with transactions from virgin investments.

In graphs, when in the library sub-portfolio, I would like that the investments be ordered by category (in fact Morningstar categories). In the Accounts sub-portfolio, I would like the investments be ordered by value.

Is it possible? Define a specific investments order for each sub-portfolio?

Thanks.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

It is possible, but I don't believe there is an easy way to automatically sort investments like this. You would have to order them manually with "Investments / Order...". As you are probably aware, you can use the "Investments / Sort By" menu from within any graph to sort by value or asset type, but you would have to re-sort when you change sub-portfolios.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks for your answer. I'm not surprise.

I wonder if another implementation of the "investment stack" would be possible, that would offer the possibility to define investments order (by name, value, manual, etc...) for each subportfolio separately, at any level.

Is it thinkable ?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Yes, this would be very possible. We can consider it for a future update.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi again Mark,

In that perspective, would it be doable, for example, to sort manually the investments when in the "Library" sub-portfolio (a parent sub-portfolio), and by category when in a child sub-portfolio ? Or vice versa ? To not mess the order of a child sub when the order of the parent is changed, or vice versa ?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

There is only 1 investment stack order. The investment stack order is independent of your sub-portfolios. You can order your investments in any order you want. You can order them manually by doing "Investments / Order...". You could order them such that the investments in one sub-portfolio are ordered in one way, and the investments in another sub-portfolio are ordered in a different way.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:33 am

Hi Mark,

Mark wrote: You could order them such that the investments in one sub-portfolio are ordered in one way, and the investments in another sub-portfolio are ordered in a different way.

But as it is now, if I sort the investments of a sub-portfolio in one way, the investments of all the sub-portfolios are sorted that way. What i look for is a complete independence of sorting in each sub-portfolio (and between a parent and its childes too). Could an update be possible in that way ?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:09 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

This is something we can consider... I understand why you would want this.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:52 am

Ok, Thanks.

In graphs, the order is important for me. In my library of funds (the sub-portfolio "Library"), I've ordered manually more than 300 funds: the currencies first, then commodities, then International, then US, then European, then Asian, then Bonds... And in each of these categories, I've ordered by Morningstar categories and then by name. All this is ordered manually, and this is a pain! Each week, I browse the library in this order, it helps me to understand the market behavior and to find opportunities.

I absolutely can't use the order command (other than manual)in any sub-portfolio , otherwise I lost all my work done to order all this... This justifies my request. Perhaps another solution would be that the manual order could be memorized and recalled after an automatic order. It would be a good solution too.

Here's another request concerning order: it's really a pain to order manually when we have +300 funds with the ordering window and the down/up/top/bottom buttons. I have to click sometimes 50 times or more to place a fund in the middle of the list... Could you please make the drag and drop possible in this window?

Thanks.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Some tips that may help...

1) You can use reports to order your investments by anything that you can report on. So, if you want to sort all investments by investment type, create a Custom report with the field "Investment Type", and then use "Sort / Investment Type". If you leave on "Options / General Preferences... / General / Update Investment Stack When Sorting Reports" the investment stack order will be updated when you do this sort. You can create the report at your top-most sub-portfolio with no sub-totals to sort all investments from all sub-portfolios.

2) The "Investments / Revert Order" command will revert your investment stack back to how it was when you first opened your portfolio file in this session. So, if you change your order while working, you can always get it back to where you started by using this command.

Thanks for the feedback on the investment order dialog. It would be nice to drag/drop in that dialog.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 am

Thanks for the tips Mark.

1) Can be useful indeed.

2) Okay ! I've never paid attention to Revert order. In fact I thought it was a reverse order command (but the true command for this is Invert Stack). Me and my English...
With Revert Order, I think my main needs are satisfied.

Really, it helps to explain things on the forum.
Thanks again.
Djobydjoba

Return to Graphs