Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Investments aggregation in pie charts

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:46 am

Mark,

I look for a way to aggregate in a pie chart the similar investments owned in my different accounts (sub-portfolios), aka the investments with a same name (eg : "cash", "Apple" or whatever else), to publish my allocation on a regular basis in a forum.

As it is now :
- There is the Symbol pie chart, in which investments with the same symbol are aggregate, but the legend (the symbols) are meaningless...

- There is the Investment pie chart, in which the legend is OK but there is no aggregation.

So my request would be :
- the ability to display investment names in the Symbol pie chart legend.

OR

- the ability to aggregate investments with same names in the Investment pie chart.

In fact, the choice for the two options would be great for maximum flexibility, because I guess some have organized their "same investments in different sub-portfolios" with different symbols but identical names (eg : CASH_ACC1 and CASH_ACC2 but the same name "Cash"), some with different names and similar symbols, and some with similar names and symbols.

Thanks
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:18 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

As it is now :
- There is the Symbol pie chart, in which investments with the same symbol are aggregate, but the legend (the symbols) are meaningless...

The legend text is the symbols, which are being plotted in the graph, why is this meaningless? It sounds like you would prefer the name, but the symbols aren't meaningless, that is what is being graphed.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:00 am

Yes, I meant it is meaningless for the people who don't know the symbols... And for me too the symbols don't mean nothing much. And I can't publish the graph as it is, I have to redone it in Excel because of this aggregation and legend problem. It's a pity :(

And I insist, it's quite common that I have the same equity, or fund, or cash investment, in different accounts, that should be aggregated in a pie chart. For example, it would be quite normal to aggregate three cash accounts from three different sub-portfolios if they are all named "Cash", rather than having three different legend entries "Cash".

Hope you understand what I mean.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:07 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

I do understand your request to aggregate different investments of the same security. This is the point of the pie chart and many of the graphs/reports that list by symbol. Making an option to display the name or (symb) Name on this pie chart would be a good option.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:18 am

Yes, indeed ! I'll wait for it :D

Thank you.
Djobydjoba

Return to Graphs