Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

memorize recurring graphs

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby gbfabiani » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:53 am

Hi Mark, is it possible to memorize a graph wo I like to see on a regular basis ?

To explain it better, assume I overlay currencies to see their trends, or I like to compare different group of investments , and I choose always the same group. Today I have to create a new overlay , select the investments, have a lokk, than start again for another group. Next week, I like to see the same comparisons for the same groups, I have each time to reselect everything .

Is it an option available which I missed ??
thanks
giovanni
gbfabiani

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:39 am

Hi givoanni,

There aren't memorized graphs, like there are for reports, but you can memorize a graph as part of your portfolio file (*.mm4). If you leave the graph open when you save your portfolio file, that same graph will come back next time. It would be nice to improve this, so you can save a variety of named graphs, like you can with memorized reports.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby CGB » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:00 am

I agree. Memorized graphs would be a great feature! One of the best things about FM is the ability to graph overlayed investments, portfolios, etc.; otherwize I would only use Quicken and graphs from my online broker. An ability to memorize these would save a lot of time. One option that would also help is being able to add all investments from a subportfolio at once to the overlayed graph instead of one at a time. That way one could set up subportfolios for the graphs of interest.

Clarke
CGB

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:00 am

Hi Clarke,

Thanks for the feedback.

In case you hadn't seen I wanted to mention that you can save graphs as part of your portfolio file. You can't save named graphs, like you can with reports, but if you create your graph window(s), and save your portfolio, the next time you open that portfolio file those graphs will be recalled. I do agree it would be best to be able to memorize them and assign them to a name, like with Reports, but this tip may still be helpful for now.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby CGB » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:00 pm

Thank you. I noticed that overlayed investments sometimes showed up but was not aware how that saved.

I made subportfolios for market sectors to make it easier to flip through similar potential investments and select them for overlay graphs to compare historical price action. In the portfolio overlay I compare my portfolio to a couple of indicies.

Clarke
CGB

Postby dlapish » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Mark,

I would like to add my support for these improvements to Overlaid Graphs. Saving the graphs by name would be optimal, failing that to be able to select all or select multiple investments (eg by cntrl + click) would be a big help.

Thanks,

David
dlapish

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand the memorized graph feature, but what were you looking for relating to selecting multiple investments? Could you describe that part in more detail? Are you talking about selecting investments for the overlay graph? Is there some improvement to the "Select Investments to Overlay" dialog you're looking for?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dlapish » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Mark,
Yes, it's when selecting investments to overlay. In the dialog box 'Select Investments to Overlay' all the investments in a sub-portfolio are listed for selection when clicking the investments drop down button. Being able to select multiple investments by control and click or shift and click in the normal 'Windows' way, would speed up the process of recreating a graph in the absence of being able to save a graph and its settings for reuse. Thanks.
David
dlapish

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi David,

Understood, thanks for the explanation.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby CGB » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:29 am

Hi Mark,

I am still really interested in memorized overlaid graphs. I see that you think it is a good idea, and wondered if it might be on the horizon? I think it would be a very useful and popular feature for the standard version.

Memorizing a single overlaid graph on exit does not really help because I use different ones (industry, indexes, owned, etc.). In addition, one can only overlay so many before it is unreadable and some of the colors look the same.

Meanwhile, it would be great to be able to add all stocks in a portfolio at once to an overlay, or at least use the 'ctrl-click' idea above.

Thank you.

Clarke
CGB

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:27 am

Hi Clarke,

Thanks for the feedback. Memorized graphs are still on our list of features to consider. We did consider it for 2014, but unfortunately weren't able to add it. Adding a way to add multiple investments more quickly is also something we'd like to add.

In case it helps you for now, you can memorize multiple graph windows in your portfolio. Just create as many graph windows as you want with "Graphs / New Window...". Each graph window can have its own independent settings (including overlaid investments), and each one is memorized in your portfolio file, so will be recalled when you re-open your portfolio file.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby fundman247 » Sun May 04, 2014 2:48 am

Hi Mark,

Can I perhaps add to this topic.
In order to select overlaid graphs I do find the opening of the pull down list,then select the instrument and then using the add button and then the same for the next instrument.To click on the name of the instruments to overlay and a second click to remove it as used in vers 10 was much quicker. 25 clicks to add 8 instruments vs 10 clicks in vers 10.

If one could see say 5 portfolios at the top and you choose which portfolio to show the contents. A click box next to each portfolio to show or hide the instruments of each portfolio. May be a pull down for the portfolio if some users use long names that cannot be shown on the width of the form. Or even a list showing all the names of the portfolios and one uses a check box(or highlight) to list the instruments inside it.Then perhaps 3 columns of instruments with about 25 instruments in each column. One can then just click each name of the instruments to overlay it would be much faster to do.With the 3 columns the form can be much wider than it was in vers 10.

Hope this helps to get a quicker way of selecting. Add this comment to the other suggestions of selecting all etc.
Don't stay in bed....unless you can make money in bed - George Burns
However beautiful the strategy, you should occcasionally look at the results - Winston Churchill

Remeber and practise it!!!!!!
fundman247

Postby CGB » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Hi Mark,

Hoping for memorized graphs soon.

Overlaid graphs are what differentiate this program, but they are a pain to create and easy to lose.

No doubt this would be the best improvement possible. It would increase the popularity of this program 100 fold. Really!

Clarke
Last edited by CGB on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
CGB

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi Clarke,

Okay, thanks for the feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby CGB » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:10 am

Mark-- Using a new window works well, when not accidentally closed, but not intuitive for a new user. --Clarke
CGB

Next

Return to Graphs