Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Indices show N.A. for all ROI's listed on top of graph

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby geadria1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:13 pm

I have the closing values for Dow, S&P 500, MSCI US REIT and Russell 3000 over a 5 year period. The problem is the ROI values on the top of the graphs all show NA. I have no investments in teh index's of course but I thought it would show the ROI based on the prices of the indices over time. Is there a way to tell it to do this even tho I have no real investment transactions for the indices? Thanks
geadria1

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:45 am

Hello geadria1,

For ROI yields you must own some shares to get a figure reported. ROI yields are reporting on the time and money weighted yields, so you cannot have zero money, or the yields can't be calculated. You can record any purchase, even for $1, but you must own some shares. There is also an option on whether or not to enforce only reporting when you own shares over the full yield term. This is on by default. See "Yield Interpolation Range..." for these settings.

If you want a yield of just the price and distributions/share, you can look at a TWR yield, which is only time weighted. You do not have to own any shares in an investment to get the TWR of an investment (or index).
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs