Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Risk/reward graph not showing

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby Marcel Parent » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:36 am

I have installed the Professional free trial version and I can't get any of the risk/reward graph result. Same with some of the technical analysis indicator.

Is there something I should do before using those tools or aren't they available in the try version?

Please help!

Thanks,
Marcel
Marcel Parent

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 am

Hi Marcel,

For the Risk/Reward scatter plot Fund Manager must have enough data points to calculate monthly returns for the comparison period of the graph. For example, if you set the graph date to 12/31/11, you would need prices for 12/31/11, 11/30/11, 10/31/11, etc... If you don't have an exact price on every one of these dates, Fund Manager can interpolate one for you from the surrounding prices. You can control how flexible Fund Manager is in interpolating prices with "Options / Yields / Interpolation Range...". To test things out, turn off the "Enforce Maximum Interpolation Range" option and turn on the option to "Allow Interpolation Prior to Earliest Recorded Data". Also, to get the TWR of your items selected for this graph, the item values cannot go negative.

For the technical analysis indicator, make sure you have the required price data recorded, like open, high, low, volume, depending on what indicator you are plotting. See the Data Register window with the "Prices" data type selected.

The trial version is fully functional.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Marcel Parent » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:58 am

Thanks for the information. Risk/reward works fine now!

But for the technical analysis, I realized I did not get any open/high/low/volume for any of the stock I owe. is there an option I should activate?

Thanks again,
Marcel
Marcel Parent

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:03 am

Hi Marcel,

Did you retrieve historical prices? What server did you use? Yahoo (Historical)? If so, you can go to finance.yahoo.com with your web browser and double check they have open/high/low/volume for your symbols. For example, see the INTC historical prices here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=INTC+Historical+Prices

You can see they have open/high/low/volume for the symbol INTC, and you should get this data when retrieving from Yahoo (Historical).
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Marcel Parent » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:36 am

Now I got them. I was on Yahoo adjusted Historical...

Thanks
Marcel Parent

Postby paulk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:40 am

Mark

I can't seem to get the risk return scatter to work for sub portfolios. I have price information for the periods in question and I even tried playing with the yield interpolation options as you recommended above. My portfolio file is set up as follows:

Master
Client 1
Client 1 Acct A
Client 1 Acct B
Client 2
etc

My desire is to be able to run a risk return scatter for subportfolio Client 1 wihich would include both of his accounts. I can't for the life of me get the subportfolios to show up on the graph.

Any suggestions?

Paul
paulk

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 am

Hi Paul,

This scatter plot requires monthly returns be able to be calculated over the whole comparison period. If you are missing some price points, or your interpolation range settings are too tight, the data points won't plot. Here are some steps to diagnose why the points aren't plotting:

1) Create a Custom report with the fields:

Time-weighted return (between)
Standard deviation of returns (ending)

for the date range of your "comparison period" on the graph. For example, if your scatter plot is ending on 1/8/13, and you have a comparison period of 5 years, set the report date range at: 1/9/08 - 1/8/13. Verify the report comparison period is the same as your graph under "Options / Report Preferences... / Benchmark". Make sure the report includes whatever you want plotted, so report at the "Client 1" level, and sub-total by sub-portfolio, so you get a line for "Client 1 Acct A" and "Client 1 Acct B".

One or both of the TWR and Standard deviation fields will probably be N/A, which would match that they weren't plotted as points on your scatter plot. To figure out why, choose "Help / Report Calculation Log...". If the problem is with the standard deviations, you will need to open up the standard deviation log file mentioned in that report calculation log.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs