Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Graph Value of Portfolio Does Not Equal Portfolio Report Val

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby dbender54 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:26 pm

The value of my portfolio shown in the graph (Graph of the Master Portfolio) does not equal the value shown on the Portfolio Report. It's not even close. It is not a matter of scaling (where the max range on the graph is too low), and the value shortfall on the graph is not equal to any single sub grouping of investments. I tried closing the graph and choosing some others, then going back to the same chart, but the same result. I verified the report value to broker statements, and it is correct.
Appreciate some guidance.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi dbender54,

A couple of ideas to check:

1) What is the ending graph's date? Is it the same as the report you're comparing against?

2) Do you have the same sub-portfolio selected as the graph's active sub-portfolio as you're reporting on for the report? While viewing the graph, look at what sub-portfolio is checked under the top level "Portfolio" menu.

3) Does the value in the graph legend match what is plotted on the ending graph date?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:17 pm

dbender54 wrote:The value of my portfolio shown in the graph (Graph of the Master Portfolio) does not equal the value shown on the Portfolio Report. It's not even close. It is not a matter of scaling (where the max range on the graph is too low), and the value shortfall on the graph is not equal to any single sub grouping of investments. I tried closing the graph and choosing some others, then going back to the same chart, but the same result. I verified the report value to broker statements, and it is correct.
Appreciate some guidance.

Well duh. Somehow the date range on the graph had been changed to mid-May. Resetting the date to today fixed the problem. Thanks very much.
dbender54

Postby dbender54 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:54 am

Again having problems where the graph legend value, which is the same as the value on the chart, are not equal to the computed value on the report (portfolio value report). I did check that the graph displayed is for the same portfolio selected (master portfolio) and that the date range in the chart is set through the same date as the report (today). I checked the vertical scales in the graph settings to ensure the maximum is at least as large as the value in the report.
I have a number of sub portfolios, and the graph does not display these values correctly either.
This happened after going through (reconciling) and making a number of revisions to several of the subportfolios, where I had to delete some transactions that were duplicated or, in one case, recreate a subportfolio from scratch. The chart value displayed is lower than the portfolio value.
I have closed and reopened the graph, the reports, the portfolio and the program. This does not change the graph display. I'm using version 10.7
Thanks for any suggestions
dbender54

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:56 am

Hi dbender54,

If you are looking at the same date and same sub-portfolio these should always be the same.

One possible point of confusion may be that by default graphs do not display weekends. Since today is a weekend, and you are graphing, the graph is really ending on Friday. If you have your report and graph dates set to end today (9/26), the report will report for today (9/26), but the graph will end on Friday (9/24). You can either set both graph/report to end on Friday (9/24), or you can turn off the option to skip weekends on graphs. See "Graphs / Options / Display... / Omit Weekends on Portfolio Based Graphs".

If you look at the X-axis of your graph, on the far right side, the last plotted date will be labeled, so you can see if it is going to 9/24 or 9/26.

If this does turn out to be the problem, then this indicates you have some data recorded on the weekend, which is unusual... Normally the value on Friday is the same through the weekend, unless you have some pricing or transaction data recorded on the weekend.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:18 am

Thank you. I had (manually) adjusted some cash balances and used today's date (a weekend), not realizing the effec of the date of the grapht. When I set the report date to Friday, the charted value did equal the report value.
dbender54

Return to Graphs