Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Overlay multiple master ports

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby Dennis » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:12 am

I have several Master Portfolios I would like to overlay.

When the Overlaid Portfolio option is selected I only see the one master portfolio. Is there a way to do this? Thank you.

Great software!
Dennis

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:44 am

Hi Dennis,

You cannot overlay different sub-portfolios from separate portfolio files (*.mm4). This is a reason why it is usually best to only have a single portfolio file, and have sub-portfolios within that one portfolio file. You can easily combine them now, into something like this:

Code: Select all
New Master Portfolio
  - Prior Master 1
  - Prior Master 2

You only have 1 top-most sub-portfolio, but you can have as much hierarchy underneath that as you want. We have a tutorial that shows how you can combine separate portfolio files into a single one with sub-portfolios. Please watch this:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tuto ... video.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Dennis » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:24 pm

Excellent video. It did the trick.

Question: since some of the portfolios can be wildly different in value, is there a way to 'normalize' them, so to speak, so when I overlay them I can see relative performance. Right now I have one portfolio at the top of the chart and the other hugging the bottom due to large differences in portfolio values.
Dennis

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi Dennis,

If you use "Graphs / Portfolio/Investment(s) Overlay / Price plus Distributions" this is a price based graph that plots a calculated portfolio price plus distribution for each selected portfolio for overlay. The starting point defaults to 100.0, so all portfolios are normalized to the same scale, unlike value based graphs.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs